Ashford, County Wicklow
Áth na Fuinseoige
|Elevation||24 m (79 ft)|
|Irish Grid Reference|
Ashford (Irish: Áth na Fuinseoige), historically known as Ballymacahara (Irish: Baile Mhic Aodha Charraigh), is a village in County Wicklow, Ireland. It lies on the River Vartry and at the meeting of the R772, R763 and R764 regional roads. The village was formerly on the main Dublin–Wexford route, the N11, but was bypassed by the new N11 in 2004.
The Mount Usher Gardens and Arboretum are located in the village. The gardens were previously owned and operated by Madelaine Jay and the Jay family, but recently the gardens and shopping courtyard were leased to the Avoca Handweavers company, which originated in Avoca, County Wicklow, and which has been owned and operated by the Pratt family for many generations.
In recent years the village has seen rapid growth as it becomes part of the Dublin commuter belt.
Ashford is served by Bus Éireann route 133, linking it with Wicklow and Dublin. This route now comes from Dublin Airport - while routes 002 and 006 link it with Rosslare Harbour and Waterford respectively.
- Katie McGrath, actress, known for her role as Morgana in the BBC drama Merlin.
- Ferdia Walsh-Peelo, actor, musician, known for his lead role as Conor 'Cosmo' Lawlor in the motion picture Sing Street
- Ashford, historic 25" map Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- "Census 2006 – Volume 1 – Population Classified by Area" (PDF). Central Statistics Office Census 2006 Reports. Central Statistics Office Ireland. April 2007. Archived (PDF) from the original on 7 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-14.
- "Dublin Airport-Ashford-Wicklow" (PDF). Bus Éireann. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 3, 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "Dublin-Arklow-Gorey-Enniscorthy-Wexford-Rosslare Harbour and return" (PDF). Bus Éireann. Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashford, County Wicklow.|