Astronomical Society of India
The Astronomical Society of India (ASI) is an Indian society of professional astronomers and other professionals from related disciplines. It was founded in 1972, with Vainu Bappu being the founder President of the Society, and as of 2010 has a membership of approximately 1000. Its registered office is at the Astronomy Department, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India. Its primary objective is the promotion of Astronomy and related branches of science. It organises meetings, supports and tries to popularise Astronomy and related subjects and publishes the Bulletin of the Astronomical Society of India.
The Society makes a series of awards, the most prestigious of which is the Prof. M. K. Vainu Bappu Gold Medal awarded once every two years to "honour exceptional contributions to Astronomy and Astrophysics by young scientists anywhere in the world." Previous award winners include:
- 1986 Yasuo Fukui
- 1988 George Efstathiou and Srinivas R. Kulkarni
- 1990 D.J. Saikia and Dipankar Bhattacharya
- 1992 Pawan Kumar
- 1994 Matthew Colless
- 1996 Sarbani Basu
- 1998 Peter Martinez
- 2000 Biswajit Paul and Alycia J. Weinberger
- 2002 Brian P. Schmidt
- 2004 R. Srianand and Ray Jayawardhana
- 2006 Banibrata Mukhopadhyay
- 2008 Niayesh Afshordi and Nissim Kanekar
- 2010 Marta Burgay and Parampreet Singh
The Society also runs two prestigious lectures: the Modali Endowment Lecture and the R. C. Gupta Endowment Lecture.
- Astronomical Society of India
- The Executive Council of the Astronomical Society of India
- Awards and Endowments instituted by the Astronomical Society of India
- Europa Publications (2003). The International Who's Who 2004. Psychology Press. pp. 480–. ISBN 978-1-85743-217-6.
- "International Medal to South African astronomer" (Press release). South African Astronomical Observatory. November 29, 2000. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- Ambastha, Ashok (March 2004). "Society Matters". Bulletin of the Astronomical Society of India 32 (1): 83. Bibcode:2004BASI...32...83.
- "Lanka astronomer wins two top awards". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka). February 18, 2007. ISSN 1391-0531. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- Lambert, Lisa (April 21, 2011). "Niayesh Afshordi wins Vainu Bappu Gold Medal" (Press release). Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics.
- Satake, Alison (March 4, 2015). "LSU and Campus Federal Credit Union Name Rainmakers" (Press release). Louisiana State University.
- "Professor M. K. Vainu Bappu Gold Medal". Astronomical Society of India. Retrieved June 10, 2015.