Attila (metalcore band)
|Origin||Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.|
|Genres||Metalcore, deathcore, nu metal|
|Members||Chris "Fronzilla" Fronzak
|Past members||Matt Booth
Attila is an American metalcore band from Atlanta, Georgia, formed in 2005. Frontman Chris Fronzak started the band in high school and, not wanting to use typical death metal terms, adopted the name from Attila the Hun, which he came across in a book. Though their original formation was in 2005, the band did not start touring full-time until around 2010. They have released six full-length albums. Their most successful album About That Life was produced by Joey Sturgis, released on June 25, 2013 and debuted on the Billboard 200 chart at #22. Attila has toured across the United States with bands such as Hed PE, Arsonists Get All the Girls, See You Next Tuesday, Emmure, Chelsea Grin, Oceano, Falling in Reverse, and Metro Station. The band is currently signed to SharpTone Records. The band is currently in the studio recording their 6th studio album which is due for a late 2016 release date to a early 2017 release.
Formation, early releases and Rage (2005–2011)
Chris Fronzak, Sean Heenan, Sam Halcomb, Matt Booth and Kris Wilson formed Attila in their hometown of Atlanta in 2005, meeting each other at their high school and through mutual friends. Their mutual love of music (and partying) brought the guys together to form what would eventually become the fourth imprint on the Artery Foundation/Razor & Tie joint venture, Artery Recordings.
Attila released two albums with Statik Factory prior to signing to Artery Recordings; Fallacy and Soundtrack to a Party. In their early years Attila toured with Arsonists Get All The Girls, See You Next Tuesday, Chelsea Grin, American Me, and We Are The End. Attila toured with HED PE and Threat Signal from March 3 to April 10.
Attila signed to Artery Recordings in 2010 and released their debut album with the label, called Rage, on May 11, 2010. The band recorded, produced, mixed, and mastered Rage with Interlace Audio's Stephan Hawkes in Portland, Oregon. Attila released their music video for the album's self-titled track "Rage" on October 8, 2010. On May 13, 2010 the band was announced as support for Drop Dead, Gorgeous' headlining tour, “The Pyknic pArtery Tour”, along with From First to Last, Sleeping With Sirens, Abandon All Ships, Woe, Is Me, For All Those Sleeping and Scarlett O'Hara, beginning on July 17 in Texas and ending in Los Angeles on August 20.
On August 19, 2010 the band was announced as support for Stick to Your Guns' North American tour with fellow supporting acts As Blood Runs Black, For the Fallen Dreams and Close Your Eyes beginning on October 1 in Arizona and ending on the 31st in California.
On September 28, 2010 the band was announced as support for Oceano's "Contagion Across the Nation Tour" with fellow supporting acts Chelsea Grin, In the Midst of Lions and Monsters beginning on November 5 in Michigan and ending on the 27th in Illinois.
On May 6, 2011 the band was announced as part of the 2011 "All Stars Tour" along with Emmure, Alesana, Iwrestledabearonce, blessthefall, For Today, In This Moment, Born of Osiris, The Ghost Inside, After the Burial, For All Those Sleeping, Memphis May Fire, Motionless in White, Chelsea Grin and Sleeping With Sirens.
On July 14, 2011 the band announced their next album, "Outlawed", was set for an August 16 release through Artery Recordings and Razor & Tie. On July 25, 2011 the band revealed the track listing for Outlawed and released the first single from the album, "Payback", for streaming. On August 4, the band released the second single "Smokeout", followed by a music video for "Smokeout" on August 17.
On August 8, 2011 the band was announced as part of the lineup for Alesana and Dance Gavin Dance's "Rock Yourself to Sleep" headlining tour with fellow supporting acts A Skylit Drive, I Set My Friends On Fire and A Loss for Words. On August 31, 2011 the band was announced as support for the "Monster Energy Outbreak Tour 2012" being headlined by Asking Alexandria, and including fellow supporting acts As I Lay Dying, Suicide Silence and Memphis May Fire.
On September 18, 2011, the band was announced as support for We Came As Romans' "Take a Picture, It Will Last Longer" tour beginning on November 22 and finishing on December 9, with fellow supporting acts Falling in Reverse, Sleeping With Sirens and For All I Am.
On October 17, 2011, Attila released their first music video from the album, "Payback". Attila released a lyric video for their song "Another Round" on July 9, 2012, and another lyric video for their song "Nasty Mouth" on October 2, 2012. On October 30, 2012, Attila released a new single, "Party with the Devil", and a re-recorded version of the song "Soda in the Water Cup" from the album "Soundtrack to a Party".
On December 12, 2011 the band was announced as part of the lineup for the New England Metal and Hardcore fest 2012 taking place on April 20–22 at The Palladium in Worcester, Massachusetts. On December 22, 2011 the band was announced as part of Chelsea Grin's six week tour, the "Sick Tour", along with fellow supporting acts For the Fallen Dreams, Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!, Vanna, Volumes and The Crimson Armada.
On March 24, 2012 the band's vocalist, Fronzak, was denied entry for the second time into Canada because of a felony on his record. Fronzak released a statement concerning the incident, saying he could apply for reconsideration in two years.
On June 6, 2012 the band announced that bassist, Chris Comrie had parted ways with the band. The band released a statement, describing the departure as a personal choice made by Comrie and that they were still on good terms. On September 8, 2012 the band announced that they acquired former For the Fallen Dreams' guitarist Kalan Blehm as their new bassist.
On September 13, 2012 the band announced their "Party With the Devil" headlining tour with supporting acts Make Me Famous, Issues, Ice Nine Kills, and Adestria beginning on October 26 in Florida and ending on November 15 in Washington.
About That Life and side projects (2013–2014)
On February 3, 2013, it was announced that the band had finished writing their follow-up to Outlawed and had entered the studio. The band has stated that the album would be the "heaviest" and "craziest" album they have ever made. On February 25, 2013, the band uploaded their own "Harlem Shake" video.
On April 20, 2013, Attila released the first single from the album, "Middle Fingers Up", and revealed that the new album, entitled About That Life, would be released on June 25, 2013. On May 24, 2013, Attila teamed up with Spotify and Revolver and released the title track from the record "About That Life".
On August 1, 2013 the band announced the "About That Life" headlining tour with supporting acts Upon a Burning Body, The Plot in You and Fit for a King. On December 11, 2013, it was announced that frontman, Chris Fronzak would be heading into the studio next month to begin recording his forthcoming hip hop album. Later that night on Fuse's Warped Roadies it was announced that Attila would be playing Warped Tour 2014, with fellow announcements Tear Out the Heart, Mayday Parade, The Protomen and Plague Vendor.
On December 13, 2013 the band announced "The New King's Tour" with supporting acts I See Stars, Capture the Crown, Ice Nine Kills, Myka, Relocate, and ARTISANS beginning on January 31, 2014. On December 18, 2013 the band was announced as support for A Day to Remember's "Self Help Festival" on March 22, 2014 in San Bernardino, California.
On August 18, 2014 the band was announced to headline the "Monster Outbreak Tour 2014" with supporting acts Crown the Empire, Like Moths to Flames and Sworn In. The tour will be kicking off on November 14 in Fort Lauderdale and ending on December 14 in Massachusetts. On September 5, they were announced as support for Black Veil Brides' UK tour with fellow supporting act Fearless Vampire Killers, beginning on October 3 in Cardiff, UK and ending on the 17th in Leeds, UK. In 2016, Attila will be joining Hollywood Undead on their Europe tour.
Guilty Pleasure and departure of Nate Salameh (2014–present)
On October 6, 2014 the band unveiled their new album, "Guilty Pleasure", which was to be released on November 24. Fronzak described the album as the heaviest they have written. On October 20, 2014 the band released the first single from the album, "Proving Grounds".
On October 22, Alternative Press reported that guitarist Nate Salameh had left the band. When asked about the decision, Salameh said that he wanted to focus on living a drug and alcohol-free life.
On November 8, 2014 the band released the album second single, "Horsepig", with Fronzak stating that it was "one of my favorite songs I’ve ever written lyrically." The band played a 26-date tour in support of the album, "The Guilty Pleasure Tour", which kicked off in Lauderdale, Florida on November 11 and ended on December 14 in Boston, Massachusetts.
Attila played the entirety of the 2015 Vans Warped Tour on the main stage.
Burying the proverbial hatchet with Falling in Reverse frontman Ronnie Radke, Fronzak and the rest of Attila announced a co-headlining tour with Falling in Reverse called the Supervillains Tour with support from Metro Station and Assuming We Survive. The tour was played at the tail end of 2015.
On June 24, 2016, Attila announced that they have officially signed to SharpTone Records, a new label co-founded by Nuclear Blast CEO Markus Staiger and Shawn Keith. “We are REALLY excited to announce that we have officially signed to SharpTone!” shares Attila frontman Fronz. “We are at an amazing point in our career and we know that these guys have the power that we need to take things to the next level.”
In 2011, Fronzak was featured in the From the Embrace song "La Flama Blanca", which appeared on the band's The Grind EP. In 2012, Fronzak was featured in the In Dying Arms song "Bathed in Salt", which appeared on the band's album Boundaries released in September 2012. He also featured in the song "Love, Sex, Riot" from Issues' debut EP Black Diamonds, which was released on November 13. Fronzak was also featured in the We Are the Blog! song "Shwash" in their EP Decadence. Also Fronzak featured in "Mimic" from Upon a Burning Body's 2012 album Red.White.Green. He also featured in My City, My Secret's song "The Forefront", in their debut EP Dream Being. In 2013, Fronz was also featured in Sleeping With Sirens song "The Best There Ever Was" off their third album, Feel.
On December 11, 2013, it was announced that Fronzak would be heading into the studio the following month to begin recording a hip hop album. On April 1, 2014, he released his first song, entitled "Turn It Up", under the stage name Fronzilla as part of his hip hop side project. Another single, "They Still Talk," was released in March 2015 along with announcement of the album. The album, Party People's Anthem, was released on July 2, 2015 under Artery Recordings.
On July 16, 2014 Fronzak launched the imprint label Stay Sick Records, created alongside Artery Recordings, and announced that the label had signed pop-punk band Old Again. The band has since signed metalcore outfit The Plot in You, deathcore band Enterprise Earth, electronicore band It Lives It Breathes, and post-hardcore/metalcore band Vesta Collide.
- Kalan Blehm
On September 15, 2014, Blehm announced his instrumental side project, "Frozen Forest" and released the song, "Blue Eyes" the third song following the release of "Dreamer" and "Work".
- Studio albums
- Fallacy (2007)
- Soundtrack to a Party (2008)
- Rage (2010)
- Outlawed (2011)
- About That Life (2013)
- Guilty Pleasure (2014)
- "Attila Just Upped the Awful Metalcore Rap Game, Yo". NOISEY. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila - "Rage" CD Review - in Metal Reviews". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- "Outlawed – Attila CD Review". Apocalyptic Demise. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- Bowar, Chad (April 22, 2013). "Attila Announce New Album ‘About That Life’ + Release Song ‘Middle Fingers Up’". Loudwire. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- "Attila to return with new album in November". Metal Insider. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila Announce New Album ‘About That Life’ + Release Song ‘Middle Fingers Up’". Loudwire. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Events – The Underworld Camden". theunderworld. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila - About That Life Review". Alternative Press. 2013-06-03. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "Attila Biography". Sing365.com. 2010-05-11. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- "Blabbermouth.Net - Attila Signs With Artery Recordings". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- "Attila Sign To Artery Recordings | News @". Ultimate-guitar.com. 2010-02-11. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- "ATTILA: 'About That Life' First-Week Sales Revealed - July 3, 2013". blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- "Interview with Fronz of Attila (Video)". Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- "Drop Dead Gorgeous Headling Tour - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Stick To Your Guns NA Tour - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "OCEANO Announce Tour with CHELSEA GRIN, ATTILA". Metal Injection. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila Announce Release Of New Album, "Outlawed," Available In-Stores and Online August 16th". Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila premiere "Smokeout" - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila release music video for "Smokeout" - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Motel 6: Rock Yourself To Sleep Tour announces line-up - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Monster Energy Outbreak Tour 2012 announced". Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "We Came As Romans announce "Take A Picture, It Will Last Longer" tour - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "New England Metal and Hardcore Fest 2012 Lineup - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Chelsea Grin Announce The Sick Tour/New EP - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila Frontman Denied Entry Into Canada - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila part ways with bassist Chris Comrie". City Of Punk. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila adds For The Fallen Dreams member to lineup". Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila Announce Party With The Devil Tour - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Warped Tour 2013 to include The Chariot, Attila | News". Lambgoat. 2013-01-04. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- "City Of Punk". City Of Punk. 2009-06-22. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- "Attila Do The ‘Harlem Shake’ | Theprp.com – Metal, Hardcore And Rock News, Reviews And More". Theprp.com. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- "Attila Debut New Song "Middle Fingers Up", Reveal June Release Date For New Album". Theprp.com. 20 April 2013. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Attila Debut New Song "About That Life",". revolvermag.com. 24 May 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Attila Announce The About That Life Tour - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila Frontman Chris Fronzak To Record New Rap Album Next Month". Theprp.com - Metal And Hardcore News Plus Reviews And More. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila, Tear Out The Heart & More Added To 2014 ‘Vans Warped Tour’". Theprp.com - Metal And Hardcore News Plus Reviews And More. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila, I See Stars, Capture The Crown, Ice Nine Kills & Myka, Relocate U.S. Tour Announced". Theprp.com - Metal And Hardcore News Plus Reviews And More. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "A Day To Remember Announce Self Help Festival - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Machine Gun Kelly performs "See My Tears" at the APMAs, introduced by Attila - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila To Headline Monster Outbreak Tour, Support And Dates Revealed - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Black Veil Brides announce U.K. tour with Attila, Fearless Vampire Killers". Alternative Press. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila announce new album, 'Guilty Pleasure' - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- Attila Guitarist Nate Salameh Exits Band to Focus on Sobriety
- "Attila Unveil New ‘Guilty Pleasure’ Album + 2014 Tour Dates". Loudwire. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "ATTILA CONFIRMED FOR 2015 VANS WARPED TOUR MAIN STAGE THIS SUMMER". Razor & Tie Direct L.L.C. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- "Falling in Reverse Announce 'Supervillains' 2015 Tour". Loudwire. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- Attila On tour: 2016 yes
- "Fronzilla (Chris Fronzak Of Attila) Premieres Debut Rap Single "Turn It Up" - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Song Review: Fronzilla "They Still Talk" feat. Tyler Carter of Issues". ARTISTdirect. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- "Fronzilla talks about party rap album mixed with positivity, hard work ahead of Pittsburgh show". Timesonline.com. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- "Attila’s Fronzilla Launches Imprint Label, Signs First Band - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Stay Sick Recordings". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- "Attila bassist releases new solo song for instrumental side project". Alternative Press. Retrieved 15 October 2014.