|Studio album by|
|Released||May 7, 2012|
|The Brian Jonestown Massacre chronology|
|Drowned in Sound|||
The album was available for free streaming prior to its release,
Aufheben was recorded in Berlin at Anton Newcombe's studio and Ed East's studio "Studio East".
It is their first album to feature founding guitarist Matt Hollywood since his departure from the band in 1999.
The title of the album comes from a German word with several meanings, such as "to lift up", "to abolish" or "to preserve". In philosophy, it is used by Hegel to explain what happens when a thesis and antithesis interact.
The cover art was taken from the Pioneer plaque of a representative depiction of humans and Earth's location in our solar system that had been engraved onto a gold-anodized aluminium plaque which was affixed to the exterior of the Pioneer 10 NASA probe.
- "Panic in Babylon" - 4:39
- "Viholliseni Maalla" - 4:37
- "Gaz Hilarant" - 2:41
- "Illuminomi " - 3:49
- "I Want to Hold Your Other Hand" - 4:29
- "Face Down on the Moon" - 5:08
- "The Clouds Are Lies" - 3:21
- "Stairway to the Best Party in the Universe" - 4:21
- "Seven Kinds of Wonderful " - 5:21
- "Waking Up to Hand Grenades" - 5:34
- "Blue Order / New Monday " - 7:09
- Anton Newcombe – guitars, vocals, bass, keyboards, drums, electronics
- Will Carruthers - bass, backing vocals
- Matt Hollywood - guitar
- Constantine Karlis - drums
- Joel Gion - tambourine
- Hallberg Daði Hallbergsson - guitar
- Hakon Adalsteinsson - guitar
- Eliza Karmasalo – vocals (track 2)
- Friederike Bienert – flute
- Thibault Pesenti - vocals (track 4)
- Fab Leseure – keyboards, electronics
- "Allmusic review".
- "Aufheben by The Brian Jonestown Massacre". Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "Drowned in Sound review".
- "NME review".
- "Pitchfork Media review".
- "Sputnik Music review".
- "The Brian Jonestown Massacre stream new album 'Aufheben' in full – listen". nme.com. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "Brian Jonestown Massacre: New Album, Tour Dates". lollipop.com. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
|This 2010s alternative rock album-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|