My Bloody Underground
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|My Bloody Underground|
|Studio album by The Brian Jonestown Massacre|
|Released||April 15, 2008|
|The Brian Jonestown Massacre chronology|
|Drowned in Sound|||
My Bloody Underground is the tenth studio album by American psychedelic rock band The Brian Jonestown Massacre, released on April 15, 2008 on A Records, a label set up by the band's leader, Anton Newcombe.
My Bloody Underground was recorded at first in Liverpool, England in August of 2007; however Newcombe found that the album wasn't working out the way he'd hoped, and so, then decided to record the rest in Reykjavík, Iceland in October 2007.
The title of the album was originally believed to be a homage to the bands My Bloody Valentine, The Velvet Underground, and The Jesus and Mary Chain, being a combination of first two names (similar to the name of the band being a portmanteau of Rolling Stones member Brian Jones and the Jonestown Massacre) and a play on track name "My Little Underground" by The Jesus and Mary Chain. However, in an interview, Anton mentioned that the word "bloody" is used in place of the word "fucking".
My Bloody Underground contains more experimental sounds than previous BJM albums, especially with a collaboration with Mark Gardener, formerly of Ride, who co-wrote the song 'Monkey Powder'. The album is a more avant-garde approach to producing and recording. The space rock/neo-psychedelia sound of the album can be attributed to Newcombe's large intake of psychedelic drugs and adopting a "no talking in the studio" policy while recording.
The music videos of the songs on the album have also been released on YouTube and as a music video compilation DVD entitled Book of Days.
- "Bring Me the Head of Paul McCartney on Heather Mill's Wooden Peg (Dropping Bombs on the White House)" – 6:27
- "Infinite Wisdom Tooth / My Last Night in Bed With You" - 6:06
- "Who Fucking Pissed in My Well?" - 4:33
- "We Are the Niggers of the World" - 5:19
- "Who Cares Why?" - 8:20
- "Yeah-Yeah" - 4:29
- "Golden Frost" - 3:44
- "Just Like Kicking Jesus" - 4:38
- "Ljósmyndir" - 4:08 (Icelandic for "Photographs")
- "Auto-Matic-Faggot for the People" - 5:46
- "Dark-Wave-Driver/Big Drill Car" - 7:42
- "Monkey Powder" - 6:55
- "Black-Hole-Symphony" - 10:20
- "The Origin of Love" (iTunes bonus track, alternative version named "Amazing Electronic Talking Cave" on "Just Like Kicking Jesus EP") - 6:09
- Lymangrover, Jason. "The Brian Jonestown Massacre My Bloody Underground". Allmusic. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "My Bloody Underground by The Brian Jonestown Massacre". Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Kerr, Dave (2008-04-14). "The Brian Jonestown Massacre - My Bloody Underground / Releases / Releases // Drowned In Sound". Drownedinsound.com. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- Raposa, David (2008-05-08). "The Brian Jonestown Massacre: My Bloody Underground". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2012-07-27.
- Ranta, Alan (2008-04-16). "The Brian Jonestown Massacre: My Bloody Underground < PopMatters". popmatters.com. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- "Brian Jonestown Massacre announce new album details". NME.com. Archived from the original on 2007-10-22. Retrieved 2008-02-12.
- "The Brian Jonestown Massacre official website". The Brian Jonestown Massacre. Archived from the original on 2007-10-22. Retrieved 2008-01-04.
- "The Brian Jonestown Massacre MySpace page". MySpace. Retrieved 2008-01-04.