This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
An aunt is a woman who is a sibling of a parent or married to a sibling of a parent. Aunts who are related by birth are second-degree relatives. Known alternate terms include Auntie or Aunty. The male counterpart of an aunt is an uncle, and the reciprocal relationship is that of a nephew or niece.
- A half-aunt is a half-sister of a parent.
- An aunt-in-law is the aunt of ones spouse. An aunt-in-law can also be an aunt by marriage (female spouse of a relative).
- A great-aunt/grandaunt (sometimes written grand-aunt) is the sister of one's grandparent. Despite the popular usage of great-aunt, genealogists consider it more correct to use grandaunt for a grandparent's sister to avoid confusion with earlier generations. Similarly, the female siblings of one's great-grandparents are referred to as great-grandaunts.
Genetics and Consanguinity
Aunts by birth (sister of a parent) are related to their nieces and nephews by 25%. As half-aunts are related through half sisters, they are related by 12.5% to their nieces and nephews. Non-consanguineous aunts (female spouse of a relative) are not genetically related to their nieces and nephews.
- All pages with titles beginning with Aunt – includes many articles with titles "Aunt [name]."
- Auntie (disambiguation) (also includes "Aunty")
- "Definition of great-aunt in English by Oxford Dictionaries". oxforddictionaries.com. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Google Ngram Viewer of relative versions of name". Google Ngram. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Grandaunt definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary". collinsdictionary.com. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Definition of grand-aunt in English by Oxford Dictionaries". oxforddictionaries.com. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Relationship Chart by Betty Eichhorn" (PDF). devonfhs.org.uk. Retrieved 14 July 2020.