BBC Knowledge (international)
|Closed||1 February 2015|
13 April 2015 (Nordic Countries)
14 April 2015 (Hungary, Romania & Turkey)
1 September 2015 (Africa)
3 October 2015 (Asia)
1 March 2016 (Italy)
22 October 2018 (New Zealand)
|Owned by||BBC Studios|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Replaced by||BBC Earth [Most locations]|
BBC World News
|Channel 612 (SD/HD)|
Channel 1612 (SD)
|Channel 612 (SD/HD)|
Channel 1612 (SD)
|Fetch TV (Australia)||Channel 124|
|Foxtel Play (Australia)||Channel 612|
|Flip TV (Australia)||Channel 250|
|Foxtel Go||Channel 612|
BBC Knowledge is a television channel available in various countries outside the United Kingdom, showcasing factual and non-fiction entertainment programming from the BBC and independent UK production houses. Wholly owned by BBC Studios, it is not related to the previous channel known as BBC Knowledge, an early digital channel available within the UK, which closed down in 2002 in favour of BBC Four and CBeebies. On 15 November 2009, BBC Knowledge in Australia changed their channel location from Channel 619 to Channel 612.
The channel provides five key programming strands enabling simple appointment viewing:
- The World delves and explores new cultures around the world
- Science & Technology explores new frontiers, from space to motoring
- People explores aspects of the human body and mind
- The Past brings historical events, places and people back to life
- Business offers invaluable advice to help stay on top of today's challenging business world.
In 2014 it was announced that BBC Studios would rollout a new channel, BBC Earth, which would replace BBC Knowledge in most locations, except for where it was successful. Poland was the first location to launch the new brand on 1 February 2015.
BBC Knowledge was first launched in Singapore on mio TV (Now in Singtel TV) in July 2007. It has been available on now TV in Hong Kong since October 2007 and on the Cyfrowy Polsat digital satellite platform in Poland from December 2007 (Cyfra Plus in Poland plans its launch only on 1 Feb 2011 due to prior exclusive BBC deals with Polsat). BBC Knowledge launched in Indonesia on Indovision in April 2008, and in South Africa on DStv in September 2008. It has since also launched in the Scandinavian countries in November 2008 when it replaced BBC Prime on Canal Digital and several cable systems. It was launched in Australia on Foxtel and Optus Television on 1 November 2008; in South Korea on CJ HelloVision on 1 December 2008 and on GS Gangnam Broadcasting on 26 May 2009.
In June 2009, citing the lack of viewership, the BBC terminated its carriage deal with SingTel's mio TV to air BBC Knowledge, (along with CBeebies and Lifestyle), and entered into an agreement with StarHub TV to carry the channels from 1 August 2009, and in Romania on 31 December 2010.
From 1 March 2011 the channel is broadcast in Italy too. It's visible, in standard definition until 1 March 2016.
- Deadly 60
- Engineering Giants
- Frozen Planet
- Kevin McCloud's Grand Tour
- Kingdom of Plants
- Planet Earth
- Ramsay Behind Bars
- Secret Millionaire
- World's Weirdest Weapons
- Top Gear
- An Idiot Abroad
- Dragons' Den
- Extraordinary Women
- Fishing Impossible
- Human Universe
- Islands of Britain
- Never Mind the Buzzcocks
- Road Warriors: The Extra Mile
- Ross Kemp: Extreme World
- School of Saatchi
- The Moaning of Life
- The World's...and Me
- Top Gear
- Top Gear: Extra Gear
- Top Gear (USA)
- Where the Wild Men Are
- Wonders of the Universe
- "BBC overhauls channels in Nordic region". Telecompaper. 6 March 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "HD csatornát indított a BBC Magyar nyelven". Sat-TV-Radio.hu (in Hungarian). 14 April 2015. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "BBC Worldwide has today launched its new genre brand BBC EARTH as a linear channel in Romania" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 14 April 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "BBC Expands Global Footprint across Turkey" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 14 April 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "BBC Worldwide's new global brands BBC Brit and BBC Earth prove a hit with South African audiences" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 17 September 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "BBC Earth to Launch in Asia" (Press release). 22 July 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Mediaset Premium spegne i canali BBC Knowledge e Discovery World da Marzo 2016" (Press release). MovieTele.it. 17 September 2015. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "BBC Earth to launch on Sky in New Zealand" (Press release). realscreen.com. 27 August 2018. Retrieved 8 October 2018.
- Parker, Robin (27 January 2014). "BBC Brit unveiled by Worldwide". BroadcastNow. Archived from the original on 28 March 2014. Retrieved 28 March 2014.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "BBC BRIT and BBC EARTH to make their global channel debut in Poland" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 4 November 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Entertainment/Hollywood News".
- "Advertising, Marketing, Media, Digital, PR News & more".
- "BBC Worldwide Digiturk ile yeni anlaşma imzaladı".
- Knox, David (9 December 2014). "Fetch TV adds BBC First". TV Tonight. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- Perry, Kevin (9 December 2014). "Big Blow for Foxtel as they Lose Exclusive Rights for Premium Drama Channel BBC First". Nelbie. Retrieved 19 December 2014.