|Elevation||48 m (157 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||OR/OD 02 XX XXXX|
Banki is part of the original Bankigarh, the native of king of Banki. The word Banki is derived from Bakra Durg, as the fort of king of Banki is slightly round shaped, the Oriya word Bakra implying bend/round, was the source of origin. The name later used in folk Oriya as Banka Durg later misinterpreted as Banki from Banka.
Banki is located at  on the southern bank of river Mahanadi in the southwest part of Cuttack district. It has an average elevation of 48 metres (157 feet). Banki is 58 km. away from state capital Bhubaneswar in south east, 47 km. away from district headquarter Cuttack in east,35 km. away from Khurda in south,45 km away from Dhenkanal and 54 km away from Nayagarh.
Banki has a tropical wet and dry climate according to Köppen classification system. Summer is hot as maximum temperature reaches 43 °C, winter is chilly and minimum temperature can drop around 9 °C. The rainy season is from June to September and the annual rainfall is between 75 and 150 cm. The average summer temperature is 40 °C and average winter temperature is 13 °C.
Banki is surrounded by many semi urban villages. Which are the main source of economy and trade needs as well as man-power.
As of 2011[update] India census, Banki town had a population of 17,521. Males constitute 52%,of the population and females 48%. Banki has an average literacy rate of 82%, higher than the national average of 74.04%; with 55% of the males and 45% of females literate. 9.16% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The prominent educational institutions in Banki town and near it are
Primary and Upper Primary
- Charchika Nodal U.P. M.E. School
- Barendra Krushna Bidyapitha, Banki
- Government Girls High School, Banki
- Shri Singhanath Dev Bidyapitha, Patapur
- Saraswati Shishu Vidya Mandir, Banki
- Sri Aurobinda Integral Education Centre, Banki
- Similipur Harirajpur Anchalika Bidyapitha, Similipur
- Talabasta High School, Talabasta
- Banki Autonomous College, Banki
- Rani Sukadei women's College, Banki
- Govt. Secondary Training Institute, Ragadi, Banki
Current MLA from Banki Assembly Constituency is Pravat Tripathy of BJD, who won the seat in State elections of 2009. Previous MLAs from this seat were Debashis Pattanaik,Pravat Tripathy who won this seat in 2000 representing BJD and in 1995 representing JD, Ghanashyam Sahoo of JD in 1990, Akshaya Kumar Pattanaik representing INC in 1985 and representing INC(I) in 1980, and Dr. Jogesh Chandra Rout of INC in 1977.
Politics of Banki N.A.C.
Banki N.A.C. is the most prominent part of Banki subdivision as consisting of Banki town market and area around it. It is divided into 17 wards. The chairman is elected within the wardmember/councilors of these wards.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Banki
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "State Elections 2004 - Partywise Comparison for 46-Banki Constituency of Odisha". Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-09-24.
- "Assembly Constituencies — Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies of Odisha" (PDF). Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-09-24.