This article is written like a travel guide rather than an encyclopedic description of the subject. (January 2017)
|• Total||205.54 km2 (79.36 sq mi)|
|Elevation||27 m (89 ft)|
|• Density||850/km2 (2,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Area and population are for the entire Salepur block.|
Salepur (also known as Salipur) is a town in the district of Cuttack, and the headquarters of the Salepur block. It is situated near the bank of river Chitrotpala, 25 km from the city of Cuttack and 55 km from the state capital Bhubaneswar.
The name Salepur is primarily derived from the combination of two words viz. sali (Paddy) and Pur (Place). It is due to the reason that Salepur belt is one of the largest producers of Paddy in the State of Odisha because of its highly fertile soil.
By Road: Salepur is well connected to all the nearby cities and towns by roads. SH-9A connects it to NH-16 which connects to Kolkata and Chennai. Besides SH-9A also connects to the nearby cities/towns like Cuttack, Kendrapara, Pattamundai, Rajnagar, and Aul, Chandbali.
By Rail: The nearest major railway station at Cuttack is well connected to most of the cities both within and outside the state, which include New Delhi, Calcutta, Madras, Bhubaneswar, Puri, Vizag, Hyderabad, Agra, Guwahati, and Bangalore.
By Air: The nearest airport at Bhubaneswar (1 hour drive) is one of the major international airports in eastern India and is well connected to all the major cities in the Country.
- Major Highway: 9A (Cuttack - Salepur - Kendrapara - Pattamundai - Chandabali)
- Major Railway Station: Cuttack (25 km)
- Nearest Airport: Biju Patnaik Airport (60 km)
- Nearby Cities/Towns: Cuttack (25 km W), Chhatia (20 km N), Kendrapara (25 km E)
The cuisine is specific Oriya food. But this place has the recognition in the field of sweets which are widely prepared and mouth watering delicious.
Rasagolla made by Bikalananda Kar is one of the prime attractions here and also Odisha famous. Canned rasagollas from Salepur are exported to different parts of Odisha, India and abroad. Other Oriya confections, such as Chhena Poda, and Rasaballi are sold here.
Places of interest
- Temples: Kulia Hanuman Temple, Kalagni Temple, Saheshwari Temple, Sidheswar Temple, Bateshwara Temple, Biseswara Temple, Gangeswar Shiv temple, Garuda Temple, Jadedeswar temple near badapokari Talapada, Chateswar Temple at Krishna Pur, Sani Temple at Janardanpur & Ananteswar Temple at Lendura Bhagabanpur, Gangeswar Mahadev (Shiv Temple )
- Masjids: Madarsa Jamiya Islamia Markazul Uloom (Sungra), Jama Masjid(Guhalipur), Jama Masjid(Daryapur), Jama Masjid (Simalpada), Jama Masjid (Rodhpur, Salipur), Jama Masjid (Barigol), Jama Masjid (Salarjung)
- Scenic beauty: Chitrotpala river bank, Kadamkanta jungle.
Asia's second largest and India's largest siphun-cum-bridge is in Salipur.
- "CTC/Cuttack Junction (5 PFs) Railway Station Map/Atlas ECoR/East Coast Zone - Railway Enquiry". indiarailinfo.com. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Free Wi-Fi service at Cuttack railway station during Durga Puja". Prameya News7. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Rasagula/Rasgulla: The Sweet Originated from Salepur, Odisha by Bikalananda Kar - eOdisha.org - latest Odisha News - Business - Culture -Art - Travel". eodisha.org. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Fairs and festivals: Munsi Melana (Dola Jatra), Eid-Ul-Fitre & Eid-Ul-Zuha(Sungra Eidgah)
Utkal Mahotsava(Salipur High School Ground), Car festival at Saheshwari Temple, Dusserah, Lakshmi Puja (Manabasa Gurubara) and Kaali Puja, Deepavali, Raja Parba, Saraswati Puja, Ganesh Puja, Pana Jatra/Patua Jatra at Gangeswar Temple near Raisungura ଜନାର୍ଦନ ପୁର ଶନି ଯାତ୍ରା, ଅନ୍ତେଶ୍ଵର ପାଟୁଆ ଯାତ୍ରା etc.
- Salepur Autonomous College, Institute of Pharmacy & Technology, a pharmacy college of Odisha
- Ekram Rasul High School, Sungra, Salipur High School, Salepur Girl's High School, Sarswati Sishu Bidya Mandir, Salipur English medium school, Salipur Public School, Freedom International School, st. Xavier, etc.
- Technical institute in sweets (ITI in sweets) and other ITI centers
- Jamia Markazul Uloom Sungra (Muslim University), Madrasa Khadijatul Qubra(Girls Madrasa)
Notable people born in Salepur
Current MLA from Salepur (GE) Assembly Constituency is Prakash Chandra Behera of Indian National Congress. Prior to him Chandra Sarathi Behera was MLA. CS Behera succeeded his father Kalindi Charan Behera. KC Behera held many Cabinet Rank Ministry too. Both Father Son duo from BJD. Before KC Behera Mr Rabi Behera was MLA ( INC) Who was also Son of Mr. Baidhar Behera, Congress ( was also MLA & MP). B Behera was maternal Uncle of KC Behera. Though they belonged to different political parties yet it was sort of Parivarbaad परिवारवाद as limited Reserved Candidates availability. Mayadhar Sethi of Congress was also MLA. Salepur Has a Block with a Chairman (SC Reserve) Under Salepur Tehsil.
- "WelCome to salipur college.org :::::::". www.salipurcollege.org.in. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Institute of Pharmacy and Technology, Salipur". www.iptsalipur.org. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- ""Salipur High School Salipur" - School in Chandradeipur, Salipur". allindiafacts.com. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Prakash Chandra Behera(Indian National Congress(INC)):Constituency- SALIPUR(CUTTACK) - Affidavit Information of Candidate:". myneta.info. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "MLA Prakash Chandra Behera Profile | SALEPUR Constituency". naveenpatnaik.com. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Congress candidates gear up for April 17 polls". The Hindu. 20 March 2014. Retrieved 29 September 2016.