|The Musical. The Musical. The Musical.|
Broadway promotional poster
by Michael McDowell
|Premiere||October 14, 2018: National Theatre, Washington, D.C.|
|Productions||2018 Washington, D.C.|
Beetlejuice is a stage musical with music and lyrics by Eddie Perfect and book by Scott Brown and Anthony King. It is based on the 1988 film of the same name, about a deceased couple who try to haunt the new inhabitants of their former home and call help from a devious bio-exorcist ghost named Betelgeuse (pronounced "Beetlejuice"), who is summoned by saying his name three times.
The musical premiered at the National Theatre, Washington, D.C. in October 2018, prior to opening on Broadway at the Winter Garden Theatre on April 25, 2019. It is produced by Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures (which through Warner Bros. owns the franchise).
In 2016 a musical adaptation of the 1988 film Beetlejuice (directed by Tim Burton and starring Geena Davis as Barbara Maitland, Alec Baldwin as Adam Maitland, Winona Ryder as Lydia Deetz and Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice) was reported to be in the works, directed by Alex Timbers and produced by Warner Brothers, following a reading with Christopher Fitzgerald in the title role. In March 2017 it was reported that Australian musical comedian Eddie Perfect would be writing the music and lyrics and Scott Brown and Anthony King would be writing the book of the musical, and that another reading would take place in May, featuring Kris Kukul as musical director. The musical has had three readings and two laboratory workshops with Alex Brightman in the title role, Sophia Anne Caruso as Lydia Deetz, Kerry Butler and Danny Pudi as Barbara and Adam Maitland.
The musical premiered its pre-Broadway tryout at the National Theatre in Washington, D.C. for a limited run from October 14 to November 18, 2018. The production will be directed by Alex Timbers, choreographed by Connor Gallagher, musical direction by Kris Kukul, scenic design by David Korins, costume design by William Ivey Long, lighting design by Kenneth Posner, sound design by Peter Hylenski, projection design Peter Nigrini, puppet design by Michael Curry, special effects by Jeremy Chernick, illusions by Michael Weber, music producing by Matt Stine and dance arrangements by David Dabbon.
On August 22, the full casting was announced including Kerry Butler (after appearing in workshops) and Rob McClure as Barbara and Adam Maitland, Leslie Kritzer and Adam Dannheisser as Delia and Charles Deetz, Jill Abramovitz and Danny Rutigliano as Maxine and Maxi Dean and Kelvin Moon Loh as Otho. The ensemble will include Tessa Alves, Johnny Brantley, Ryan Breslin, Brooke Engen, Abe Goldfarb, Eric Anthony Johnson, Elliott Mattox, Mateo Melendez, George Merrick, Ramone Owens, Devin Roberts, Presley Ryan, Kim Sava, and Dana Steingold.
On September 6, it was announced that following its Washington D.C. tryout, the musical will open during the 2018-19 season on Broadway at the Winter Garden Theatre with previews beginning on March 28, 2019, and an official opening night on April 25, 2019.
- *= song featured in the original 1988 film.
Cast and characters
|Character||Workshop (2017)||Washington, D.C. (2018)||Broadway (2019)|
|Lydia Deetz||Sophia Anne Caruso|
|Barbara Maitland||Kerry Butler|
|Adam Maitland||Danny Pudi||Rob McClure||TBA|
|Delia Deetz||Jessica Phillips||Leslie Kritzer||TBA|
|Charles Deetz||Adam Dannheisser||TBA|
|Maxine Dean / Mrs. Shoggoth||Jill Abramovitz||TBA|
|Maxie Dean||Danny Rutigliano||TBA|
|Otho||Kelvin Moon Loh||TBA|
- "The Beetlejuice Musical Finds Its Writing Team | Playbill". Playbill. Retrieved 2018-06-10.
- Paulson, Michael (2018-03-28). "'Beetlejuice' Musical Is Heading to Washington, Then Broadway". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-06-10.
- Desk, BWW News. "Kerry Butler, Danny Pudi, Alex Brightman and the Cast of BEETLEJUICE Workshop Share Behind the Scenes Photos". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- Desk, BWW News. "DC's National Announces World Premiere of BEETLEJUICE, BAT OUT OF HELL, and More". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 2018-06-10.
- "Kerry Butler, Rob McClure, Adam Dannheisser, Leslie Kritzer & More Complete the Cast of Beetlejuice". Broadway.com. Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- "Broadway finds its Beetlejuice (and Lydia!)". EW.com. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- McPhee, Ryan (2018-08-22). "Kerry Butler, Rob McClure, Leslie Kritzer Join Broadway-Aimed Beetlejuice Musical; Full Cast Announced | Playbill". Playbill. Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- "Beetlejuice Musical Sets Spring 2019 Broadway Opening | Playbill". Playbill. Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- "Beetlejuice Musical Sets Spring 2019 Broadway Opening Date | Playbill". Playbill. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Alex Brightman on Instagram: "Back to it. @beetlejuicebway #ItsShowtime"". Instagram. Retrieved 2019-01-07.