Ben Jones (American cartoonist)
This biographical article is written like a résumé. (April 2013)
Benjamin Quincy Jones|
1977 (age 40–41)
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Occupation||Animator, screenwriter, producer, voice actor, comedian, music composer, storyboard artist, director|
The Problem Solverz|
Benjamin Quincy "Ben" Jones (born in 1977) is an American comedian, voice actor, music composer, animator, producer, director, writer and storyboard artist. He currently lives and works in Los Angeles. He is a member and founder of Paper Rad, an art collective of his city (Pittsburgh) with Jacob Ciocci and his sister Jessica Ciocci. In 2007, Jones created Neon Knome, a pilot for Adult Swim; Neon Knome was never aired but is featured on the Adult Swim website as part of their "Big, Über, Network, Sampling" collection in 2010. Jones is the main creator and the voice actor of Alfe and Roba in the Cartoon Network show, The Problem Solverz.
In 2013, Jones became the creative director of the Fox Saturday night programming block ADHD, where he released his series, Stone Quackers. The program aired as sneak peek on October 27, 2014 on FXX and a spin-off, Gothball, was premiered as a web-series on May 1, 2015 on the ADHD YouTube channel.
Jones was born in 1977 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and grew up in central Massachusetts. His family collected computers, a hobby initiated by his father, Frank, who was a software engineer. This influenced Jones a lot, so much that later he would draw inspiration for his future style of art and design.[clarification needed]
Jones began his career in animation in the late of 90's. He first made comics, followed by a series of loosely drawn minis.[clarification needed] He studied in Boston at Massachusetts College of Art and Design, where under the name of "Paper Radio" met and worked with fellow artist Christopher Forgues. In 2000, he founded the collective Paper Rad, with the artist Jacob Ciocci and his sister Jessica Ciocci.
|Project||Show run||Channel(s)||Credited role||No. of episodes|
|Pick a Winner||2004||DVD only||Director (credited as Paper Rad)||5 episodes|
|I Dream of Zinedine Zidane||2005||Short only||Digital effect artist||Inexistent|
|Super Mario Movie||Director (credited as Paper Rad)|
|Trash Talking||2006||DVD only||Co-creator, Writer, Producer, Executive producer, Director, and Voice actor (credited as Paper Rad)|
|Neon Knome||2007||Adult Swim||Creator, Animator, Writer, Executive producer, Director, Music composer, and Voice actor||1 episode|
|Yo Gabba Gabba!||2007–2015||Nick Jr.
|The Problem Solverz||2011–2013||Cartoon Network||Creator, Executive producer, Director, Music composer, and Voice actor||26 episodes|
|Storyboard artist||2 episodes|
|ADHD Shorts||2012–2016||Fox, FXX||Storyboard director||10 shorts|
|Voice actor||4 shorts|
|Peanut Butter & Jelly||2013||Short only||Voice actor||Inexistent|
|Axe Cop||2013–2015||Fox, FXX||Creative director||Ongoing|
|High School USA!||2013||Fox||12 episodes|
|Golan the Insatiable||2013–2015||Fox, FXX|
|Lucas Bros. Moving Co.||2013–present||Creative director, and Director||Ongoing|
|Storyboard director||2 episodes|
|Voice actor||1 episode|
|Stone Quackers||2014–2015||FXX||Creator, Writer, Executive producer, Creative director, and Voice actor||Ongoing|
|Storyboard director||2 episodes|
|Major Lazer||2014–present||Creative director||Ongoing|
|The Adventures of OG
|2015–2016||ADHD (Web only)||Director||20 episodes|
|Gothball||2015||Creator, Writer, Director, and Voice actor||10 episodes|
|Nerdland||2016||Film only||Sequence animator||Inexistent|
|OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes||2017–present||Cartoon Network||Voice actor||Ongoing|
|Neo Yokio||Netflix||Creative director, and Voice actor||Ongoing|
- Deitch Projects, New York;
- Peres Projects, Berlin;
- Pace Wildenstein, New York;
- The Museum of Modern Art, New York;
- The New Museum of Contemporary Art, New York;
- Tate Britain, London;
- Musee d’ Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris/ARC, Paris;
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, San Francisco;
- Junc Gallery, Los Angeles, 2005 (group show)
- Home page. benjaminqjones. (December 14, 2009).
- www.a-m-p.gr/media/pdf/original/benjonescv.pdf[permanent dead link]
- Adult Swim Presents. Adultswim.com (June 25, 2013).
- "In Brief". The Fresno Bee. March 30, 2011.
- Animation Domination High-Def ('ADHD'). WonderCon Anaheim 2013. (March 30, 2013).
- Nadel, Dan (October 24, 2014). "Inhale Exhale". Comics Journal. Fantagraphics Books. Archived from the original on October 25, 2014. Retrieved October 25, 2014.
- GOTHBALL TRAILER - Youtube
- Nadel, Dan (April 4, 2011). "Artistic Modern Funnies: Ben Jones’ Problem Solverz". Tcj.com (April 4, 2011).
- "UPFRONT 2017: TBS and Super Deluxe to launch interactive late-night block - Turner". Turner. May 17, 2017. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- O'Leary, Shannon. (May 15, 2012) How Cartoon Network Became a Haven for Some of the Best Independent Comic Book Creators Working Today. Publishers Weekly.