Bergen County Technical Schools
|Bergen County Technical Schools|
327 East Ridgewood Avenue|
Paramus, NJ 07652
|Business administrator||John Susino|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||2,019 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||NA|
Bergen County Technical Schools is a county technical school district that serves as the vocational / technical education arm of all the school districts within the 70 municipalities in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States. The primary programs offered are the Bergen County Academies and Bergen County Technical High School. It has its headquarters in Paramus.
Awards and recognition
In 2015, Bergen County Academies was one of 15 schools in New Jersey, and one of nine public schools, recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School in the exemplary high performing category by the United States Department of Education.
For the 1997-98 school year, the Academy for the Advancement of Science and Technology of Bergen County Academies was named a "Star School" by the New Jersey Department of Education, the highest honor that a New Jersey school can achieve.
- Bergen County Academies, Dr. John Grieco Campus (grades 9-12; 1,044 students) offers seven public magnet high school programs. The Academies prepare students to meet the academic rigors of college and the corporate world beyond through a blend of professional, technical and academic courses.
- Bergen County Technical High School, Paramus Campus (grades 9-12, 304 students) is a shared-time vocational and technical training facility for Bergen County residents located in Paramus.
- Bergen County Technical High School, Teterboro Campus (grades 9-12; 665 students) is a full-time public high school that provides a challenging, project-driven curriculum in a technology-infused environment. The curriculum is structured around a core of interdisciplinary technical and academic disciplines that prepare students for post-secondary education and career development work-based experiences.
Bergen Tech sports teams include athletes from all four campuses. The Bergen County Technical High School Knights now competes in the Big North Conference, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. In the 2009-10 school year, the school competed in the North Jersey Tri-County Conference, which was established on an interim basis to facilitate the realignment. Prior to the realignment, the teams had previously competed in the Northern New Jersey Interscholastic League (NNJIL), starting with the 2006-07 school year. With 1,571 students in grades 10-12, Bergen Tech was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North I, Group IV for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 1,090 to 2,568 students in that grade range.
In 2006, the Bergen Tech football team won their first NNJIL Division Championship. They also participated in the state playoffs for the first time in the school's history. They lost in the first round to Randolph High School by a score of 29-0.
In 2007, the girls' tennis team won the North I, Group IV state sectional championship with a 4-1 win over Ridgewood High School in the tournament finals. The win was the team's second consecutive title, and their third since 2003.
- Howard Lerner, Superintendent
- John Susino, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Bergen County Vocational Technical School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Contact Us, Bergen County Technical Schools. Accessed July 12, 2017.
- 2015 National Blue Ribbon Schools All Public and Private, National Blue Ribbon Schools Program. Accessed November 14, 2016.
- Mueller, Mark. "Which N.J. schools were named National Blue Ribbon schools?", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, September 29, 2015. Accessed November 14, 2016. "Fifteen New Jersey schools have been recognized by the federal government as National Blue Ribbon Schools, a designation that celebrates excellence in academics or progress in closing the achievement gap among groups of students.... Each of the 15 New Jersey schools was chosen for the 'exemplary high performing' category, which weighs state or national tests, high school graduation rates and the performance of subgroups of students, such as those who are economically disadvantaged."
- New Jersey Department of Education Star School Award recipient detail 1997-98 school year, Academy for the Advancement of Science and Technology, accessed July 13, 2006
- School Data for the Bergen County Technical Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Bergen County Technical Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- About Us, Bergen County Academies. Accessed July 12, 2017.
- Paramus Campus, Bergen County Technical Schools. Accessed July 12, 2017.
- Teterboro Campus, Bergen County Technical Schools. Accessed July 12, 2017.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association League Memberships – 2009-2010, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 24, 2011. Accessed August 14, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- 2006 Football Tournament - North I, Group IV, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 21, 2012.
- 2007 Girls Team Tennis - North I, Group IV, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 25, 2007.
- Pompton Lakes captures crown, The Star-Ledger, October 13, 2007. Accessed October 25, 2007. "Defending-champion Bergen Tech took home its third title since 2003 with a 4-1 victory over Ridgewood in the North Jersey, Section 1, Group 4 championship in Franklin Lakes."
- District Administration Archived October 20, 2014, at the Wayback Machine., Bergen County Technical Schools. Accessed December 1, 2014.
- New Jersey School Directory for Bergen County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Bergen County Academies
- Bergen County Technical High School - Teterboro
- Bergen County Technical High School - Paramus
- Bergen County Technical Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Bergen County Technical Schools, National Center for Education Statistics