Berkeley station (California)
|Location||University Avenue and Third Street
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Passengers (2017)||156,226 3.71% (Amtrak)|
Berkeley is an Amtrak station in Berkeley, California, served by Amtrak California's Capitol Corridor service. The station is located under the University Avenue overpass just west of 4th Street. It is served by AC Transit bus lines 51B and 802; AC Transit bus line Z stops nearby on 6th Street. The current platform opened on September 17, 2005, after a $2.4 million renovation. Additional renovation work included installation of nighttime lighting, benches and landscaping; improved access for people with disabilities; and street repaving and new striping for more efficient access by buses, bicycles, paratransit, shuttles and taxis.
Of the 74 California stations served by Amtrak, Berkeley was the 23rd-busiest in FY2012, boarding or detraining an average of approximately 417 passengers daily.
Amtrak California service at Berkeley began in 1986 with the twice-daily San Joaquins, which then operated between Oakland and Bakersfield. Berkeley was an original stop on the Capitol Corridor (originally named Capitols) when that service began in late 1991. San Joaquins service at Berkeley ended in 1993 because of low ridership.
Platforms and tracks
|East track||■ Capitol Corridor||toward Auburn (Richmond)|
|■ Capitol Corridor||toward San Jose (Emeryville)|
|West track||■ California Zephyr||No stops|
|■ Coast Starlight||No stops|
|■ San Joaquin||No stops|
- Berkeley station (Southern Pacific Railroad) for a different Southern Pacific station (now demolished)
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2017, State of California" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2017. Retrieved 24 December 2017.
- Artz, Matthew (September 20, 2005). "Berkeley Train Stop Gets $2.4 Million Upgrade". Berkeley Daily Planet. Retrieved 2012-07-22.
- . Great American Stations. Accessed January 30, 2013.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2012, State of California" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2012. Retrieved 2013-05-11. External link in
- "Amtrak - Berkeley, CA (BKY)". Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "Brennan's in Berkeley: Sports Bar and Restaurant". Retrieved 2012-11-06.
- Amtrak (April 27, 1986). "Western". National Train Timetables. Retrieved 2012-07-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Berkeley station (California).|
|This Alameda County, California train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|