Noël Jones (bishop of Sodor and Man)
|The Right Reverend|
|Bishop of Sodor and Man|
|Church||Church of England|
|Province||Province of York|
|Diocese||Diocese of Sodor and Man|
|In office||1989 to 2003|
Member of the Legislative Council of the Isle of Man (1989–2003) |
Chaplain of the Fleet (1984–1989)
1955 (deacon) |
|Birth name||Noël Debroy Jones|
|Born||25 December 1932|
|Died||28 August 2009(aged 76)|
Early life and education
Jones was born on 25 December 1932 in Monmouthshire, Wales. He was educated at Haberdashers' West Monmouth School, then an all-boys grammar school in Pontypool, Torfaen. He studied at St David's College, Lampeter and trained for ordination at Wells Theological College.
Jones was ordained in the Church in Wales as a deacon in 1955 and as a priest in 1956. He held two curacies in the Diocese of Monmouth: at St James' Church, Tredegar (1955 to 1957) and at the Church of St Mark, Newport (1957 to 1960). He was the vicar of Kano in Nigeria from 1960 to 1962.
In 1962, Jones joined the Royal Navy as a chaplain and was deployed to Brunei and Borneo. He also completed a commando course prior to service in Aden with 42 Commando in 1967. He also served in Saudi Arabia and as Staff Chaplain at the Ministry of Defence before, in 1984, becoming Chaplain of the Fleet and Archdeacon for the Royal Navy as well being made a Companion of the Order of the Bath.
In 1989 Jones left the navy and was appointed Bishop of Sodor and Man. During his time as bishop he had an ex officio seat in the Legislative Council and was a member of the Department of Education and the War Pensions Committee as well as being a trustee of King William's College. In 2003 he stood down as the diocesan bishop.
Jones belonged to the Traditional Anglo-Catholic tradition of the Church of England. He was never a member of Forward in Faith, a traditionalist organization operating within Anglicanism. He was opposed to the ordination of women to the priesthood.
Jones died on 28 August 2009.
- Debrett's People of Today: Ed Ellis,P (1992, London, Debrett's) p 1880 ISBN 1-870520-09-2)
- "Bishop Noël Jones". Yorkshire Post. 11 September 2009. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "The Right Reverend Noël Jones". The Daily Telegraph. 10 September 2009. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- Times on-line
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 30 March 2017. .
- Scandrett, Wyndham. The Parish of St. James, Tredegar: A History, 1890-1984. Risca: Starling Press
- City of Newport
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 1975-76 London: Oxford University Press, 1976 ISBN 0-19-200008-X
- The Times, 13 October 1962; pg. 4; Issue 55521; col B Naval Appointments
- Society of St Mary
- OKW website
- Official announcement
- Daily Telegraph p31 Obituaries Issue no 47,985 (11 September 2009)
|Church of England titles|
| Chaplain of the Fleet
| Bishop of Sodor and Man
|This article about a United Kingdom bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Manx biography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|