Biyombo with the Hornets in October 2014
|No. 8 – Toronto Raptors|
August 28, 1992 |
Lubumbashi, DR Congo
|Listed height||6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)|
|Listed weight||245 lb (111 kg)|
|NBA draft||2011 / Round: 1 / Pick: 7th overall|
|Selected by the Sacramento Kings|
|2009||Fuenlabrada-Getafe Madrid (Spain)|
|2009–2011||CB Illescas (Spain)|
|2011||Baloncesto Fuenlabrada (Spain)|
|2011–2015||Charlotte Bobcats / Hornets|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Bismack Biyombo Sumba (born August 28, 1992) is a Congolese professional basketball player who currently plays for the Toronto Raptors of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He was selected with the seventh overall pick in the 2011 NBA draft by the Sacramento Kings and subsequently traded to the Charlotte Bobcats (now Charlotte Hornets).
Biyombo, who was born in Lubumbashi, was discovered by the former Jordanian and Angolan and current Portuguese national team head coach, Mário Palma, at the age of 16 at a youth tournament in Yemen. His play impressed the coach and earned him an opportunity to train in Spain.
Biyombo started the 2009–10 season with Fuenlabrada-Getafe Madrid of the EBA before moving to CB Illescas of the LEB Silver league. He also started the 2010–11 season with CB Illescas before moving to Baloncesto Fuenlabrada of the ACB league in January 2011.
Biyombo made his debut in the Spanish ACB League with Fuenlabrada against DKV Joventut on January 9, 2011, recording 5 points and 7 rebounds in just over 13 minutes of play. In Fuenlabrada's narrow defeat to Real Madrid, he recorded 6 points and 3 blocks, one of them against former Spanish League MVP and Spanish national team player, Felipe Reyes.
At the 2011 Nike Hoops Summit, Biyombo participated for the World Select Team (against the USA Select Team), and recorded a triple double, with 12 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 blocks. It was the first recorded triple-double in the Summit's history.
Biyombo was drafted seventh overall by the Sacramento Kings in the 2011 NBA draft, but his rights were later traded to the Charlotte Bobcats in a draft night trade. On December 19, 2011, Biyombo signed a multi-year deal with the Bobcats. After averaging five points per game over his first two seasons with Charlotte, Biyombo's minutes and subsequent production dropped dramatically in 2013–14 as he fell out of favour with coach Steve Clifford, as he averaged just 2.9 points in 13.9 minutes per game.
While his forte in defense and rebounding did drop in 2013–14, Biyombo began the 2014–15 season in much better form despite missing seven out of the first eight games of the season largely due to the acquisition of Jason Maxiell in the 2014 offseason. With the late-December injury to starting center Al Jefferson, Biyombo was placed into the starting line-up. On June 30, 2015, the Hornets decided not to extend a qualifying offer to Biyombo, making him an unrestricted free agent.
On July 18, 2015, Biyombo signed with the Toronto Raptors. On August 1, 2015, he played for Team Africa at the 2015 NBA Africa exhibition game. He made his debut for the Raptors in the team's season opener against the Indiana Pacers on October 28, recording 7 points and 5 rebounds in a 106–99 win.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- COD/ESP – Palma not surprised by the new sensation of the ACB, Bismack Biyombo
- Bismack Biyombo Player Profile
- DKV JOVENTUT|BALONCESTO FUENLABRADA 100|86
- REAL MADRID|BALONCESTO FUENLABRADA 76|75
- "Bobcats Select Walker, Acquire Biyombo and Maggette". NBA.com. June 23, 2011. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- "Bobcats Sign Bismack Biyombo". NBA.com. December 19, 2011. Retrieved December 19, 2011.
- Wasserman, Jonathan (November 7, 2014). "Bismack Biyombo's NBA Career Looking Like It's Already on Life Support". BleacherReport.com. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- Bismack Biyombo to replace injured Al Jefferson in Hornets' lineup
- "Hornets don't extend qualifying offer to Bismack Biyombo". ESPN.com. June 30, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- "Raptors Sign Bismack Biyombo". NBA.com. July 18, 2015. Retrieved July 18, 2015.
- NBA stars, legends shine as Team World rallies to beat Team Africa
- "DeRozan scores 25, Lowry has 23, Raptors beat Pacers 106-99". NBA.com. October 28, 2015. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bismack Biyombo.|
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com, or Basketball-Reference.com
- Bismack Biyombo at acb.com (Spanish)
- Bismack Biyombo at draftexpress.com
- Bismack Biyombo at eurobasket.com
- Bismack Biyombo on Twitter