|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (February 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Associated acts||Phantom Planet, Warm White|
Diva Dompe started the band in 2004 with her sister Lola and boyfriend Alex Greenwald, who performed as his alter-ego "Clark Schädelkopf"  in the context of the band. Schädelkopf means "skullhead" in German. The Dompe sisters are both daughters of Bauhaus drummer Kevin Haskins.
They have channeled their fantastical and sci-fi leanings into their shows. Prepping for past gigs included dressing as if they were starring in the Ice Capades, crafting massive Native American headresses, and making vats of theatrical blood in the Dompe family kitchen for a Carrie-themed summertime barbecue at The Echo in Echo Park.
Many people believed that they got their name from the caffeinated Japanese gum, BlackBlack, but Clark has said that the meaning is "blacker than black."
Some criticized Blackblack because they thought that it was a random side project for the already successful Alex Greenwald, but they have steadily gained recognition, especially in Los Angeles and Japan.
Recently the band has come under some harsh criticism for reportedly performing in blackface, although the band claims that they painted their skin to perform as 'shadows' and did it "just to be scary" and didn't intend to be racially offensive.
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
BlackBlack has a moody, gloomy sound, reminiscent of The Velvet Underground and Joy Division. Clark Schädelkopf tells ElleGirl "we're not Goth, but we do have to fight it."
Some of their musical influences consist of contemporary bands such as Deerhoof, Lightning Bolt and Blonde Redhead. A staple and likely the most commented on feature of the band's live shows is their cover of the Misfits song "Skulls".
BlackBlack have released two independent EPs as well as a full-length album in Japan which combines the two Eps.
- BlackBlack - Mathom Records – 23 August 2006
Singles and EPs
- BlackBlack EP 1 - 16 June 2005
- "Royal Dragon"
- "Honey In Your Ears"
- "I Wish I Were A Scientist"
- "Algorythyx and Gurantaxtaxq"
- BlackBlack EP 2 - 2006
- "Emerald Forest"
- "Ogre Mountain"
- "The Energy Song"
- "The Most! The Best! The Greatest! Forever!"
- "The Long Boat"
- "Skulls" – cover song of the Misfits
- "We, The Grimlocks"
- "Waiting For Magic" 2008 Single
- Brandon Hits the Hot Spots | Spin Magazine Online Archived February 20, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- ::News:: Archived February 15, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Fucking In the Streets - Music - Fucking in the Streets - The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-01-25. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- Paper Thin Walls :: Single Reviews :: BLACKBLACK - "Emerald Forest"
- New Deerhoof Tour Dates: Archived January 6, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.