|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Memphis, Tennessee|
This article needs to be updated.(January 2023)
Books LLC is an American publisher and a book sales club based in Memphis, Tennessee. Its primary work is collecting Wikipedia and Wikia articles and selling them as printed and downloadable books.
Print-on-demand and electronic products
Books LLC publishes print-on-demand paperback and downloadable compilations of English texts and documents from open knowledge sources such as Wikipedia. Books LLC's copies of the English Wikipedia are republished by Google Books. Titles are also published in French and German respectively under the names "Livres Groupe" and "Bücher Gruppe". Books' publications do not include the images from the original Web documents but, in their place, URLs pointing to the Web images. According to the FAQ page: “We understand how annoying that can be for the reader. But our first priority has to be respecting copyright laws. In addition, the resolution of the online photos are not high enough to print in a book.”
In 2009, Books LLC and its sister imprint General Books LLC produced 224,460 and 11,887 titles respectively.
Imprint and book club names
In brackets: kind of material published and sold.
- Books LLC or Books Group (English Wikipedia)
- General Books LLC (public domain material scanned and recognized by OCR)
- General Books Club (public domain material)
- Genbooks.net (public domain material)
- Million-books.com (public domain material)
- Rare Books Club (public domain material)
- Wiki Editions (public domain material and CC-BY-SA material)
- Livres Groupe (French Wikipedia)
- Bücher Gruppe (German Wikipedia)
- ^ Radnedge, Aidan (2011-02-08). "Wikipedia entries copied and sold as books". Metro.co.uk. London: Associated Newspapers Limited. Archived from the original on 2011-03-16. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- ^ Weingarten, Gene (2010-09-12). "The book on Gene: It's less than you expect". Washington Post. Archived from the original on 2010-11-11. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- ^ Thiel, Thomas (2010-09-27). "Wikipedia und Amazon: Der Marketplace soll es richten". Faz.net (in German). Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. Archived from the original on 2011-01-23. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- ^ Rückert, Hermann (2010-09-20). "Copy and Paste als Geschäftsmodell: Amazon bietet die Plattform für tausende absurde Buchtitel" [Copy and paste as business model: Amazon offers its platform to thousands of absurd book titles]. Telepolis knews (in German). Hannover: Heise online. Archived from the original on 2010-09-23. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- ^ Bateman, Jessica (2011-02-08). "Wikipedia articles copied and sold as books by US publisher". Swns.com. Bristol: Small World News Service. Archived from the original on 2011-07-16. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- ^ a b Gary, Nicolas (2010-10-14). "Arnaque : refourguer des articles de Wikipedia compilés pour 11 €". actualitté.com (in French). Archived from the original on 2010-12-26. Retrieved 2010-12-12.
- ^ a b Birgé, Jean-Jacques (2010-10-15). "L'arnaque". Mediapart.fr (in French). Mediapart. Archived from the original on 2010-10-18. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- ^ a b "Wikipedia-Bücher: Geschäft mit freien Inhalten - Verschiedene Anbieter versuchen, mit Benutzer-generierten Inhalten von Wikipedia auf Amazon das große Geld zu machen". tt.com (in German). Innsbruck: Tiroler Tageszeitung. 2010-09-21. Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- ^ a b "Books LLC: Book Club FAQs". Booksllc.net. 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-12-12. Retrieved 2010-12-12.
- ^ Strauss, Victoria (2010-05-23). "Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics". Sfwa.org. SFWA and Writer Beware. Archived from the original on 2010-10-30. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- ^ "Bowker Reports Traditional U.S. Book Production Flat in 2009". Bowker.com. New Providence, New Jersey: R.R. Bowker. 2010-04-14. Archived from the original on 2010-12-20. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- ^ "General Books LLC: Book Club FAQs". General-books.net. 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-12-12. Retrieved 2010-12-12.
- ^ "General Books Club: Select from a Million Books for Free". Generalbooksclub.com. 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-12-11. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- ^ "General Books - Search Amazon for our books". Genbooks.net. 2010. Archived from the original on 2012-03-30. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- ^ "Million-books.com: Book Club FAQs". Million-books.com. 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-12-12. Retrieved 2010-12-12.
- ^ "Rare Books Club: FAQS". Rarebooksclub.com. 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-12-13. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- ^ "Wiki Editions - Select from a Million Books for Free". Wikieditions.com. 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-10-31. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- ^ Example CC-BY-SA publication on Amazon.com: RuneScape - Capes: Agility cape, Ancient cloak, Ardougne cloak 1, Ardougne cloak 2, Ardougne cloak 3, Ardougne cloak 4, Attack cape, Ava's ... Cape, Cape, Cape, Cape, Cape, Cape [Paperback]
- Debora Weber-Wulff: German Libraries Avoiding Fake Publishers. Copy, Shake, and Paste. A blog about plagiarism from a German professor, written in English.