1993 (age 27–28)
|Occupation||Skateboarder, model, and community organizer|
King is from east LA and moved to Australia when she was 18. She became a model and would watch skaters in the park across the street from her home. She left Australia after a mishap with paperwork that caused her to lose her visa and moved to New York City in early 2017. She was reintroduced to skateboarding in New York.
Briana King grew up in east LA where she says there were a lot of shootings, drive-byes, and inaction by the police force. She describes being kept in a bubble, as her mother did not really allow her or her sister to have friends. She passed her time by playing music, including on the flute, clarinet, piano, vibraphone, guitar, and some violin and cello. At 18, she moved to Australia by herself to model full-time before a paper mishap caused her to return to the United States in 2017.
While living in LA, people approached King and her sister about modeling but their mother would not let them. Eventually, she was casted for a job for Macy's off of MySpace. King took the job and moved to Australia by herself with $200.00, where she pursued modeling full-time. King states she chose Australia because it was the furthest English-speaking location she could think of.
Upon returning to the United States, King still modeled, alongside skateboarding. She has stated that skateboarding has made her more confident in her modeling because falling down on her skateboard all the time taught her that she does not always need to be perfect.
King's first skateboard was a fake Zero Skateboards board that she received at a swap meet when she was 12. After a few weeks of practicing, she tried to ollie down four stairs and broke her leg. King did not pick up skateboarding again until she was 24.
One of the first friends she made in New York skated a lot, and consequently, King was drawn in as well. The first skate sesh she attended in New York was a House of Vans skate sesh. King says she skated for about 7 hours a day that year. King has stated that she suffers a lot from anxiety, but that when she skates she is not as anxious. She says was taking medications for a time, but stopped when she began skating.
Skate Sesh Tour
While in Australia, King would often go to skateparks. She would watch the skaters and observe their technique, but felt too intimidated to join in. Consequently, King understood the importance of having a safe space where non-traditional skaters could feel comfortable. This, along with friends often commenting on King's good skateboard teaching skills, inspired her to bring women and LGTB skaters together with her Girl & Queer Skate Sesh where they can skate and enjoy themselves without fearing being judged.
In February 2019, King hosted a Girl Skate Sesh at El Sereno Skatepark.
- Schrupp, Lindsay; Vans, Created with (2018-05-08). "The Woman Who Uses Skateboarding to Build Friendships". Vice. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
- "Briana King is Living Her Damn Life". amadeus. 2019-02-27. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
- magazine, HERO. "Skating with the NYC all-girl skate crew running their own rules". HERO magazine. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
- MiChele, Jinnie Lee,Samantha Casolari,Lana Jay Lackey,Yuui Vision,Kayla. "It's True — Your BFFs Can Totally Influence Your Style". www.refinery29.com. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
- "BRIANA KING". Photogenics Media. Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- "Briana King is Living Her Damn Life". amadeus. 2019-02-27. Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- magazine, HERO. "Skating with the NYC all-girl skate crew running their own rules". HERO magazine. Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- "The Ones: Briana King. air.jordan.com". Air.Jordan. Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- [JORDAN] THE DEFIANT ONES: Briana King, retrieved 2021-04-17
- "Boundary Breakers: Briana King Does It All". www.zappos.com. Retrieved 2021-04-17.
- Boardly: Downtown Skateboarder Briana King, retrieved 2021-04-17
- "How Skater Briana King Subverted the Boys Club". Coveteur: Inside Closets, Fashion, Beauty, Health, and Travel. 2021-01-07. Retrieved 2021-04-17.
- "BRIANA KING ON TEACHING THE NEXT GENERATION OF SKATERS". Jenkem Magazine. 2020-06-30. Retrieved 2021-04-17.
- "Briana King (@brianaking_) TikTok | Watch Briana King's Newest TikTok Videos". TikTok. Retrieved 2021-04-17.
- In the Mind // Briana King - Becoming Free and Finding Truth, retrieved 2021-04-17
- BRIANA KING GIRL & QUEER SKATE SESH: NEW YORK, retrieved 2021-04-17
- Whitehead, ♥ Cindy. "Girls Skate Sesh In LA With Briana King!". Retrieved 2019-07-07.