Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor
The Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor Affairs (DRL) is a bureau within the United States Department of State. The bureau is under the purview of the Under Secretary of State for Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights.
DRL's responsibilities include promoting democracy around the world, formulating U.S. human rights policies, and coordinating policy in human rights-related labor issues. The Office to Monitor and Combat Anti-Semitism is a separate agency included in the Bureau.
The Bureau is responsible for producing annual reports on the countries of the world with regard to religious freedom through its Office of International Religious Freedom and human rights. It also administers the U.S. Human Rights and Democracy Fund.
The head of the Bureau is the Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor.
- Office of Country Reports and Asylum Affairs – Prepares the State Department's annual reports, including the Country Reports on Human Rights
- Office of International Religious Freedom – Supports the United States Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom
- Office of Policy Planning and Public Diplomacy
- Office for Africa – Monitors human rights in Africa
- Office for East Asia and the Pacific – Monitors human rights in East Asia
- Office for Near East Asia – Monitors human rights in the Middle East
- Office for Western Hemisphere – Monitors human rights in Latin America
- Office for South Central Asia Monitors human rights in Central Asia
- Office of Global Programming
- Office of Multilateral and Global Affairs – Formulates and implements U.S. government policy on human rights in multilateral organizations, including the UN Human Rights Council, the UN General Assembly, the UN Security Council, the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the European Union, the Organization of American States, the African Union, and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations
- Office of International Labor Rights – Advises on policies and initiatives in tandem with the International Labor Organization
- Executive Office
- "Religious Freedom". Office of International Religious Freedom. Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- "Human Rights Reports". U.S. Department of State. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "1 FAM 510 Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor (DRL)" (PDF). Foreign Affairs Manual. U.S. Department of State. June 13, 2012. Retrieved January 30, 2016.
- "State Department Student Internship Brochure" (PDF). U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Human Resources. September 2014. Retrieved December 10, 2015.
- Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor official website
- Official page on Facebook
- Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor on AllGov.com