Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')
|"Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')"|
|Single by T-Pain featuring Yung Joc|
|from the album Epiphany|
|Released||February 20, 2007|
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Label||Nappy Boy, Konvict, Jive|
|Writer(s)||Faheem Najm, Jasiel Robinson|
|Certification||3x Platinum (RIAA)
|T-Pain singles chronology|
"Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')" is a song by American singer-songwriter T-Pain, released on February 20, 2007, as the lead single from his second studio album, Epiphany. The song, produced by T-Pain himself, features a guest verse from American rapper Yung Joc.
T-Pain describes the meaning of the song as "...these days lots of people begin their relationships in the clubs. Whole conversations begin with some guy buying a young lady a drink. I wanted to make a song for those folks."
References to other songs
The song is noted for having many references to other popular dance/rap songs:
- Lil Scrappy's song "Money in the Bank" is referenced in the chorus with the line, "I got money in the bank / Shawty what you think about that".
- Towards the middle you can hear the line "You don't know me" referring to T.I.'s "U Don't Know Me".
- The line "We in the bed like 'Ooh'" is a reworked version of the chorus to the Lil Boosie song "Zoom".
- At the beginning, the line, "Snap yo fingers, do your step, you can do it all by yourself", is a lead line from the Lil Jon song, "Snap Yo Fingers".
- Also he states "back to the crib, show you how I live" refers to 50 Cent's "Just a Lil Bit".
- At the end of the second verse, T-Pain says 'On That Patrón You Should Get Like Me', referencing Yung Joc's "It's Goin' Down" off his album New Joc City.
- Later on in the song, T-Pain takes a line from the single by Unk, "Walk It Out" when he says, "...Walk it out." The song also includes uncredited vocals by T-Pain's Nappy Boy artists, Tay Dizm and Jay Lyriq. Jay Lyriq sings: "Let's get gone, walk it out....Now rock, rock, rock, rock, you can do it all by yourself", and Tay Dizm sings: "Now walk it out, think about it... Ah snap!". The song ranks 63rd on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Best Songs of 2007.
The song debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 84 on the issue date of March 10, 2007. On the issue date of May 12, 2007 the single became T-Pain's first and Yung Joc's second number 1 single on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. On the same Billboard magazine issue date, "Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')" became T-Pain's highest charting single on the Billboard Hot 100 to date, surpassing the number 5 peak of "I'm 'n Luv (Wit a Stripper)". On the issue date of May 26, 2007, "Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')" reached number 1, becoming T-Pain as well as Yung Joc's first number 1 single on the Billboard Hot 100. The song was less popular in the United Kingdom, failing to appear on the official UK Singles Chart.
The song, which spent its chart run in each of the top 12 positions of the Hot 100, broke the record of "Truly Madly Deeply" by Savage Garden, which previously had been the only single in the history of the Hot 100 to spend time in each of the top 10 positions on the chart during its run.
The music video was directed by Benny Boom. It premiered on April 9, 2007 on MTV and features cameos from various artists such as E-40, Gorilla Zoe, Huey, Tay Dizm, Ryan Shaw, Shawnna, Jay Lyriq, Kardinal Offishall, Brandon T. Jackson and many others.
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||18|
|Canadian Hot 100||25|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||2|
|Portuguese Singles Chart||39|
|US Billboard Hot 100||1|
|US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||1|
|Australian Singles Chart||92|
|US Billboard Hot 100||5|
|US R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||4|
|"Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin') (Remix)"|
|Single by T-Pain featuring Kanye West|
|Released||July 16, 2007|
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Genre||Hip hop, Snap & B|
4:32 (Part II Remix w/ UGK)
|Kanye West and T-Pain singles chronology|
The official remix on the single features rapper Kanye West and the part 2 of the remix has UGK with T-Pain & West. There are also other remixes that features Chingy, Trey Songz, Stat Quo and T.I. respectively. There is also a remix with T-Pain, West, UGK & Trey Songz. Miami rapper, Lil' Brianna, sampled this record for a freestyle from her 2007 mixtape Princess of Miami.
- Entertainment Africa, T-Pain earns a #1 debut, June 14, 2007
- No byline (December 11, 2007). "The 100 Best Songs of 2007" Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2007-12-21
- Katie Hasty, "Mims Puts The 'Hot' In The Hot 100 At No. 1", Billboard.com, March 1, 2007.
- Jonathan Cohen, "T. Pain Tastes Hot 100 Glory With 'Drank'", Billboard.com, May 17, 2007.
- Songfacts Buy U A Drank (Shawty Snappin') by T-Pain
- "ARIA Charts – End Of Year Charts – Top 100 Singles 2007". Australian Recording Industry Association. Archived from the original on 2010-07-31. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- "Billboard Hot 100 Year-End 2007". Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- "The Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Songs - Year End Charts 2007". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.