|Single by Lil Wayne featuring T-Pain|
|from the album Tha Carter III|
|Released||May 27, 2008|
|Format||CD, digital download|
|Length||4:04 (Album version)
2:38 (UK radio edit)
|Label||Cash Money, Universal Motown|
|Writer(s)||Dwayne Carter, Faheem Najm, Oscar Salinas, Juan Salinas|
"Got Money" is the third single by American rapper Lil Wayne from his album Tha Carter III (2008). The single features American rapper T-Pain. Both Lil Wayne and T-Pain use the Auto-Tune effect in the song. The single was released as a digital download on iTunes on May 27, 2008. Lil Wayne and T-Pain performed the song at the BET 2008 awards and the 2008 MTV Music Video Awards. MTV also ranked the song as the #19 Hip-Hop song of 2008.
The official remix, featuring Young Money Entertainment artist Mack Maine, was used to make the music video. The video was shot and released on June 23, 2008, the same day the video for "A Milli" was shot, in Los Angeles and is a follow up to the cliffhanger of "A Milli." The video is directed by Gil Green. Lil Wayne has claimed on his video blog that this video is based on the film Inside Man 2. Ray J, Shorty Mack, Drake, Nicki Minaj, Birdman, Tyga, Brisco, Lil Twist, Lil Chuckee, Jay Rock, 2 Chainz, Kidd Kidd, and the producers of the song, Play-n-Skillz, make cameos in the video. The bank lobby shots are the same bank used in the film Set It Off. The music video premiered on multiple MTV channels on June 23, 2008. In the end, Lil Wayne is the only one arrested while the crew escapes with the money, including Mack Maine and Birdman.
The song was covered by Korn vocalist Jonathan Davis. The cover features Slipknot and ex-Stone Sour guitarist Jim Root and Korn drummer Ray Luzier and was released on Jonathan Davis' solo band website, and is available on iTunes.
The song was the "Hot Shot Debut" of the week on the Billboard Hot 100, entering at #13, making it Lil Wayne's second highest debut. This also made it his second highest peaking song in his solo career, although it's now his third highest peaking. 15 weeks following its Hot 100 debut, the song rose to a new peak on the chart of #10, giving Lil Wayne his third consecutive top ten hit from Tha Carter III. It has become his fifth top ten on Hot Rap Tracks, thus far peaking at #2. It has been most successful on U.S. Rhythmic stations, reaching number one on the Rhythmic Top 40. "Got Money" has also been nominated for the Best Rap/Sung Collaboration at the 51st Grammy awards.
Charts and certifications
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||33|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||67|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||84|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||184|
|US Billboard Hot 100||10|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||7|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||33|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||2|
|United States||2× Platinum|
- Got Money (ft. T-Pain) - Single Accessed May 27, 2008.
- Reid, Shaheem (2008-12-15). "Lil Wayne's 'A Milli' And More Top Hip-Hop Songs Of 2008; 50 Cent Pledges Loyalty To Eminem: Mixtape Monday - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- Lil Wayne (2008-07-01). Weezy Blog #2.2 - Part 2 of the "Got Money" Music Video. QD3/YouTube.
- Reid, Shaheem (2008-07-25). "Lil Wayne Plays A Modern-Day Robin Hood In 'Got Money' Video -- Check Out A Clip Here!". MTV News. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- "Download to Jonathan Davis' cover of "Got Money"". Archived from the original on 2008-09-13.
- September 25, 2008. Travis Barker Records "Got Money" Remix Day Before Plane Crash. Accessed September 25, 2008.
- "Juelz Santana Feat Skull Gang - What You Reppin / NEW". Daily Motion. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- Montero, Douglas (June 11, 2011). "Lil Wayne accused of rap rip-off". New York Post.
- "Lil Wayne – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Lil Wayne. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Musicline.de – Lil Wayne Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Lil Wayne feat. T-Pain – Got Money" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- Zywietz, Tobias (February 6, 1997). "Chart Log UK: DJ Steve L – LZ Love". Zobbel.de. Tobias Zywietz. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Lil Wayne – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Lil Wayne. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Lil Wayne – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Lil Wayne. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Lil Wayne – Chart history" Billboard Pop Songs for Lil Wayne. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Lil Wayne – Chart history" Billboard Hot Rap Songs for Lil Wayne. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Recording Industry Association of America". RIAA. Retrieved 2012-02-19.