Buzz!: The Music Quiz
|Buzz!: The Music Quiz|
|Publisher(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment Europe|
Buzz!: The Music Quiz is the first in the Buzz! series of video games created by Sleepydog and Relentless Software and published by Sony_Computer_Entertainment Euope's XDev for the PlayStation 2. In the game, players answer questions asked by the quizmaster (also called Buzz) using the four Buzz! remote controls. The game was part of Sony's "Fire It Up" campaign, which also includes the EyeToy and SingStar systems.
Hosted by the computer animated, ever-smiling Buzz and his assistant Rose, the game creates the illusion that the players are in an actual quiz show, complete with buzzers, theme songs and canned audience clapping/laughter. Jason Donovan is the voice of Buzz in the UK and Australia. Different voice-actors are used across Europe for Buzz and Rose.
Players can choose from 16 different contestants to suit that persons personal music taste. These include a pop diva (Gina), a rocker (Phil), a punk, an Elvis (Pelvis) and a disco dude (Stevie). These characters resemble famous pop musicians such as Gwen Stefani, Liam Gallagher and Geri Halliwell and Bob Marley.
There are over 1,000 music clips, all of which are international chart-toppers from the 1950s through to 2005 and over 5,000 questions to test a players knowledge, either by playing solo in a fast paced single-player mode or with friends/family in the multi-player game. None of the music clips are original recordings.
Players can also choose to play in short bursts, or over a longer period. All wins and losses can be saved to Memory cards for players to refer to at a later date.
- Point Builder - Select an answer from four options.
- Snap - Select an answer from options that appear on the screen in a random order. You lose points in this round for a wrong answer.
- Fastest Finger - You score more points for being the fastest person to answer, 400 1st 300 2nd 200 3rd 100 4th.
- Pass the bomb - Answer a question correctly to pass the bomb. The person holding the bomb when it goes off loses points.
- Offloader - Players take turns to listen to a clip and choose which of the other players will answer the question.
- Buzz Stop - Similar to snap but with no specific question, the players must simply buzz on any answer that is associated with the song.
- Point Stealer - Players must buzz when their buzzer lights up to take control of the question and choose which player will answer. Correctly answering the question allows you to choose a player to steal points from.
- Look Before You Leap - The question and answers are revealed slowly. Players buzz in and choose an answer when they know it.
- Time Builder - Player answers and number of questions and the sooner a correct answer is given, the more time is accumulated for the final round.
- Hot Seat - The time accumulated is used to answer questions. Answering five questions in a row banks point toward the players final score.
- Quickfire Quiz Mode - Choose how many questions to answer and simply answer questions without individual rounds.
- Quizmaster Quiz Mode - A person can choose to ask their own questions while players use their buzzers to buzz in. The quizmaster uses the PlayStation control to indicate a correct or incorrect answer and add to the players' scores.
- Official site
- Sleepydog Ltd
- Relentless Software
- Buzz!: The Music Quiz at GameSpot
- Buzz!: The Music Quiz at IGN
- Buzz!: The Music Quiz at MobyGames