Can't Get It Out of My Head
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Can't Get It Out of My Head"|
|Single by Electric Light Orchestra|
|from the album Eldorado|
|B-side||"Illusions in G Major"|
|Released||January 1975 (UK)|
November 1974 (US)
|Recorded||1974 De Lane Lea Studios|
|Length||4:23 (Album version)|
3:07 (Single edit)
|Label||Warner Bros. (UK)|
United Artists (US)
|Electric Light Orchestra singles chronology|
|Eldorado track listing|
First released on the band's fourth album Eldorado in September 1974, the song is the second track on the album and follows "Eldorado Overture". The song was released in November the same year as a single.
The song became the band's first top 10 single in the United States, reaching number 9, and helped boost public awareness of the band in the U.S.; however, back in the UK the single and LP failed to chart. In 1978, it was included as the lead song on the four-track The ELO EP (UK release), reaching number 34 on the UK charts. The song has appeared on many ELO compilation albums.
AllMusic's Mike DeGagne said the song would become "one of Electric Light Orchestra's most beautiful ballads" thanks to "the rich backdrop of strings (especially cello) and the steady, delicate cymbal taps that enhance the song's charm", adding: "there's an honest simplicity built around the dynamics of the relaxed rhythm and it's this enchanting air, mixed with the storybook lyrics and poetic wonderment of the song that carries the listener away, even if they're indecipherable at times", considering the song as "the band's best example of this recipe implemented toward a slower style".
Electric Light Orchestra
- Jeff Lynne – lead vocals, guitar, Moog synthesizer, arrangements
- Richard Tandy – piano, Moog synthesizer, arrangements
- Michael De Albuquerque – bass
- Bev Bevan – drums, percussion
- Michael Edwards – cello
- Mik Kaminski – violin
- Hugh McDowell – cello
- Jeff Lynne – production
- Dick Plant – engineering
- Mike Pela – engineering
- Kenny Denton – engineering assistance
- John Richards – engineering assistance
- Recorded at De Lane Lea Studios, London.
Weekly singles charts
Jeff Lynne version
|"Can't Get It Out of My Head"|
|Song by Electric Light Orchestra|
|from the album Mr. Blue Sky: The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra|
|Released||8 October 2012 (UK)|
9 October 2012 (US)
|Recorded||2001–2012 Bungalow Palace|
|Mr. Blue Sky: The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra track listing|
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Hard rock band Silent Rage recorded a version on their 1989 album Don't Touch Me There, but changed a few lyrics and renamed it to "Can't Get Her Out of My Head".
- A live cover version by Fountains of Wayne appeared as a B-side on the 1997 single "Sink to the Bottom" and later on the 2005 album Out of State Plates.
- In 2006, the teenage drama The OC featured a cover version of the song in an episode and also commissioned the indie artist John Paul White to cover the track for Music from the OC: Mix 6 "Covering Our Tracks".
- The song was covered by the hard rock group Velvet Revolver on their 2007 album Libertad.
- Telekinesis covered the song on the 2010 American Laundromat Records release Sing Me to Sleep - Indie Lullabies.
- Progressive rock band Transatlantic covered the song on their 2014 album Kaleidoscope, featured on disc 2 of the special edition.
- Patty Pravo covered the song in Italian as "Come un Ponte Sull'Acqua Che Va" on her album Incontro (1975).
- The Silent League covered the song on the bonus disc of their 2010 album But You've Always Been the Caretaker.
- "Jeff Lynne Song Database - Electric Light Orchestra - Can't Get It Out Of My Head song analysis". Jefflynnesongs.com. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- Farley, Keith. "Various Artists – Songs You Know by Heart: Songs of Love". AllMusic. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Chart History - Can't Get It Out Of My Head". Billboard. Retrieved 8 June 2020.
- DeGagne, Mike. "Can't Get It Out of My Head - Electric Light Orchestra | Song Info". AllMusic. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- "Can't Get It Out of My Head" (single liner notes). Electric Light Orchestra. United Artists Records. 1974. Back cover.CS1 maint: others (link) CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- "Electric Light Orchestra - Can't Get It Out Of My Head". Discogs. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- "Jeff Lynne Song Database - Electric Light Orchestra - Can't Get It Out Of My Head song analysis". www.jefflynnesongs.com. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- Hung, Steffen. "Discografie Electric Light Orchestra". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- Cash Box Top 100. 22 March 1975. Retrieved 8 June 2020.
- Hawtin, Steve. "Song artist 171 - Electric Light Orchestra". Tsort.info. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "ELO". Wweb.uta.edu. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Charts". Wweb.uta.edu. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 6 October 2016. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1975/Top 100 Songs of 1975". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Releases : elo - Mr. Blue Sky - The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra". Elo.biz. 5 October 2012. Retrieved 28 February 2013.
- In-depth Song Analysis at the Jeff Lynne Song Database (jefflynnesongs.com)
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
- List of "Can't Get It Out of My Head" cover versions with YouTube & Spotify links at SecondHandSongs.com