Jenkins with the Toronto Blue Jays
|Toronto Blue Jays|
December 22, 1987 |
|August 7, 2012, for the Toronto Blue Jays|
(through 2015 season)
|Earned run average||3.31|
Minor league career
Jenkins played high school baseball at Cherokee High School in Georgia. Jenkins attended Kennesaw State University, where he played college baseball for the Owls under head coach Mike Sansing. As a junior, Jenkins was named the A-Sun Pitcher of the Year after going 8–1 with a 2.54 ERA, along with a 9.6 K/9, and a 1.03 WHIP.
Jenkins was selected in the first round (20th overall) of the 2009 MLB draft by the Toronto Blue Jays, and was given a $1,359,000 signing bonus. Baseball America ranked Jenkins as the Blue Jays 3rd best prospect going into 2010. Jenkins was called up to the Blue Jays on August 5, 2012, after posting a record of 5-9 with a 4.96 ERA in Double-A.
Major league career
Jenkins was called up from the Double-A New Hampshire Fisher Cats by the Blue Jays on May 11, 2013. He was optioned down to the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons on June 1. After a stint on the disabled list, he was optioned down to the Fisher Cats on August 10. Jenkins was recalled by the Blue Jays on August 24.
Jenkins was optioned to the Buffalo Bisons on March 16, 2014, and recalled on April 26. He was recalled for the fourth time in the 2014 season on June 3, and for the fifth time on July 31. Jenkins pitched 6 shutout innings in relief of Mark Buehrle on August 10 and earned the win, 6–5, after a 19-inning marathon against the Detroit Tigers. The game was the longest in Blue Jays franchise history in terms of both innings and time elapsed (6 hours, 37 minutes). Jenkins was optioned back to Buffalo on August 16, and was recalled to Toronto on August 27, 2014. On September 4, Jenkins was hit by a ball during batting practice while in the outfield shagging fly balls. It broke his right hand, ending his season.
- "Kennesaw State University Athletics - 2009 Baseball Roster". Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- Fletcher, Jeff (August 5, 2012). "Former first rounder Jenkins called up from Double-A". Bluejays.com. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- Tsang, Thom (August 8, 2012). "Chad Jenkins Impresses In MLB Debut With Toronto Blue Jays". Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- Lott, John (May 11, 2013). "Blue Jays postpone Brandon Morrow’s start again, call up Chad Jenkins". nationalpost.com. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Berry, Adam (June 1, 2013). "Morrow lands on DL with strained forearm". MLB.com. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "Jays recall Chad Jenkins, Chien-Ming Wang from minors". Canadian Press. August 24, 2013. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- Nowak, Joey (June 3, 2014). "Blue Jays recall Jenkins to bolster bullpen". MLB.com. Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- Ross, Jaime (August 10, 2014). "Blue Jays outlast Tigers in record-setting walk-off". MLB.com. Retrieved August 10, 2014.
- Twitter / Blue Jays: The @BlueJays have optioned RHP CHAD JENKINS to @BuffaloBisons and have recalled RHP KYLE DRABEK from the Bisons.
- Blue Jays-Official on Twitter: The @BlueJays have recalled RHP CHAD JENKINS from @BuffaloBisons and have designated RHP SERGIO SANTOS for assignment.
- "Jays' Jenkins expected to miss rest of season". Sportsnet. September 4, 2014. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- "Blue Jays option Castro; Delabar, Jenkins recalled". Sportsnet. May 3, 2015. Retrieved May 3, 2015.
- "Blue Jays recall Tepera for MLB debut". Buffalo Bisons. May 8, 2015. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- "Blue Jays activate Stroman, transfer Travis to 60-day DL". Sportsnet. September 11, 2015. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- Chisholm, Gregor (February 6, 2016). "Blue Jays come to terms with Floyd". MLB.com. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Chad Jenkins on Twitter