Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The Ride
|Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The Ride|
The entrance to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The Ride.
|Attraction type||Dark boat ride, Elevator|
Rexroth Bosch Group
|Capacity||1000 riders per hour|
|Vehicle type||Boat, Elevator|
|Vehicles||10 boats, 2 elevators|
|Riders per vehicle||9|
|Construction||JJ Cavanagh Construction (started mid-2005)|
|Elevator show||Falcon's Treehouse
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The Ride is a dark ride located in the Cloud Cuckoo Land area of Alton Towers theme park, Staffordshire, England. It is based upon the famous Roald Dahl book of the same name, and takes its thematic inspiration from the illustrations of Quentin Blake. The ride is split into two segments, the first being a boat ride along the chocolate river inside Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Passengers encounter all the characters from the book (going from Augustus Gloop to Veruca Salt) either as simple animatronics or CGI projections. After disembarking the boats the second segment begins with a short pre-show video (involving Mike Teavee). The video is presented as if the viewers are actually trapped within the TV set. The ride continues inside one of two "Great Glass Elevators" which simulate passengers taking an airborne trip through the rest of the factory. Each elevator is a static room with semi-translucent walls and ceiling on which CGI animations are projected from the outside, and only the floor trembles slightly to give the impression of movement.
The ride was originally called Around the World in 80 Days and was opened 1981 in Talbot Street (now Cloud Cuckoo Land). This ride took you on a journey through numerous locations including Egypt, Las Vegas and Paris. The ride was re-themed in 1994 as Toyland Tours. The ride was completely transformed into different scenes from a toy factory. During the 2005 season Toyland Tours was closed and work began converting it to its present incarnation. The ride manufacturers Mack were brought in to alter the water way to add a new disembarkation point towards the back of the ride building. This was necessary due to the new ride featuring two simulators as the second half of the attraction.
- At the time of its launch, this ride's introduction coincided with the release of the adaptation of the book in cinemas.
- Part of the original Toyland Tour steamboat theming still exists hidden behind the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory theming.
- It is rumoured that the Roald Dahl Intellectual Property licence for the ride ends at the close of the 2015 season. This does fit with the 10 year anniversary of the ride. however there has been No confirmation of the licence length or the ride being decommissioned at the end of the 2015 season.
- Around the World in 80 Days (Alton Towers ride)
- Toyland Tours
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the book that the ride was based upon.
- "Our Projects". P&P Projects. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- Charlie And The Chocolate Factory: The Ride at TowersStreet
- Charlie And The Chocolate Factory: The Ride at TowersTimes
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The Ride at Towers Nerd
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The Ride at Alton Towers Almanac
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The Ride at darkrides.co.uk
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The Ride at ThemeParks-UK