This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2020)
|Location||4320 Hampton Boulevard|
Norfolk, Virginia 23529
|Owner||Old Dominion University|
|Operator||Spectra Venue Management|
|Broke ground||June 17, 2000|
|Opened||October 25, 2002|
|Construction cost||$47 million|
($67.6 million in 2020 dollars)
|Structural engineer||Stroud, Pence & Associates Ltd.|
|General contractor||S.B. Ballard Construction Company|
|Old Dominion Monarchs|
Chartway Arena at the Ted Constant Convocation Center is a 219,330-square-foot (20,376 m2), multi-purpose arena in Norfolk, Virginia, United States, on the campus of Old Dominion University. It is operated by Spectra Venue Management. Chartway Arena is part of the University Village project, a 75-acre (30 ha) development that will also feature a shopping center, restaurants, theaters, offices, research labs and residences with connections to the campus. "The Ted" has 7,319 seats, 862 upper club/priority seats, 16 luxury suites, and a scoreboard. The arena currently seats 8,639 for basketball games and 9,520 for concerts. In addition to being used for home basketball games and high-profile wrestling matches for ODU, the Constant Center hosts family-oriented events as well as concerts and lectures. Chartway Arena is legendary to students of the university.
"The Ted" was designed by Southfield, Michigan architecture firm Rossetti.
On March 17 and 19, 2012, Chartway Arena played host to the first and second round of the 2012 NCAA Women's Division I Basketball Tournament.
In 2015, Chartway Arena received upgraded video systems throughout the stadium including a digital scoreboard from Daktronics.
In 2021, a newly constructed, full-service Starbucks location opened at Chartway Arena. This new location is located on the 43rd Street side of the venue near Hampton Blvd.
Old Dominion Men's Basketball
Through the 2018–19 season, the Old Dominion Monarchs men's basketball team has a record of 212–66 at the Constant Center for a winning percentage of 76.3%.
|Year||Home Record||Attendance||Average Per Game||National Ranking |
There have been many big events held at Chartway Arena. These have ranged from concerts and shows by Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, BB King, Dave Chappelle, Elton John, J. Cole, Mike Epps, Thomas and Friends and Green Day. There have also been many other events such as the Harlem Globetrotters, Disney On Ice performances, Impact Wrestling TV tapings, UFC events, Cheerleading competitions, as well as ODU events such as a career fair. On October 20, 2003, the arena hosted an NBA preseason matchup between the Philadelphia 76ers and the New Orleans Hornets.
The biggest event that has ever taken place at Chartway Arena was an Elton John concert on March 18, 2011. Tickets for this huge event sold out in 3½ hours. The Ted had to add about 1,000 extra seats to accommodate all of the audience members who purchased tickets. There were close to 9,500 people at the event, in a building that holds around 8,500.
Chartway Arena is managed by Spectra Venue Management. Chartway made a $4.25 million branding and sponsorship agreement with Old Dominion University, to get the arena named, which is located inside the Ted Constant Convocation Center complex.
- "Groundbreaking ceremony is set for Constant Center". odu.edu. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- 1634 to 1699: Harris, P. (1996). "Inflation and Deflation in Early America, 1634–1860: Patterns of Change in the British American Economy". Social Science History. 20 (4): 469–505. JSTOR 1171338. 1700-1799: McCusker, J. J. (1992). How much is that in real money?: a historical price index for use as a deflator of money values in the economy of the United States (PDF). American Antiquarian Society. 1800–present: Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. "Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–". Retrieved January 1, 2020.
- Arena, Chartway. "Starbucks | Chartway Arena". www.chartwayarena.com. Retrieved 2021-02-11.
- "NCAA Men's Basketball Attendance Division I Summary". NCAA.org. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-01-19. Retrieved 2011-04-05.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Iverson, 76ers Making Preseason Visit". dailypress.com. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- "Elton John provides the Ted's first '360' sellout". hamptonroads.com. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- "ODU Names Chartway Arena at the Ted Constant Convocation Center". Old Dominion University. Retrieved 2020-03-04.