|Related names||Kelsey, Chelsie, Chelsey|
The Synod of Chelsea at Chelchith in 787 is often identified with Chelsea, London; but the first firm record is of a manor at Chelsea just before the Norman conquest. Today this original Chelsea is part of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea and is pronounced // CHELL-see. From this origin other usages and places have arisen. For example, Chelsea, Manhattan, takes its name from a Federal-style house in the area which had been named after the manor of Chelsea, London.
The personal name Chelsea is a 20th-century coinage and is also pronounced //, // or //, and sometimes spelled Chelsie or Chelsey. In the United States, the spelling "Chelsea" first entered the Social Security Administration baby naming data chart in 1969 at position 708. It rose in popularity among names for girls after 1980, peaking in 1992 at #15. As of 2009 it was ranked #231.
This name is possibly linked with British pop culture of the late 1960s and Joni Mitchell's song "Chelsea Morning" (named after the Manhattan district). For example, Chelsea Clinton, daughter of former U.S. president Bill Clinton and former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, is named after the song as performed by Judy Collins.
- Chelsea Phelps, awesome
- Chelsea Brown, actress
- Chelsea Chen, organist
- Chelsea Clinton, the daughter of former U.S. President Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton
- Chelsea Cooley, former Miss USA (2005)
- Chelsea Field, actress
- Chelsea Georgeson, surfer
- Chelsea Grin, American progressive deathcore band
- Chelsea Handler, comedian
- Chelsee Healey, actress
- Chelsea Hobbs, actress
- Chelsea Kane, actress and singer
- Chelsea Manning, former U.S. soldier convicted for violations of the Espionage Act of 1917
- Chelsea Newton, basketball player
- Chelsea Noble, actress
- Chelsea Peretti, writer and comedian
- Chelsea Quealey, jazz trumpeter
- Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, writer
- Chelsea Howard, Senior Research Executive
- Chellsie Memmell, Olympic gymnast
- Chelsi Smith, former Miss USA (1995) and Miss Universe (1995)
- Chelsie Hightower, professional ballroom dancer
- Chelsy Davy, on and off girlfriend of Prince Harry
- Social Security Administration Popular Baby Names Database
- Unterberger, Richie (2008). "'Chelsea Morning' - Joni Mitchell", AllMusic. Retrieved June 29, 2008.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|