This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Place of origin||Tanzania, East Africa|
|Main ingredients||Potatoes, eggs|
|Variations||Eggs can be mixed with onions, bell pepper, and other ingredients|
In its most basic form, chipsi mayai is a simple potato-egg omelette. In Tanzania it is also called Zege. It is available in most regions of Tanzania, from the most remote villages to large towns. Food stands both indoors and on streets make them to order, and while potatoes are usually not prepared until late morning in Tanzania, those who are able to find it earlier in the day can have it as a breakfast meal.
While the price of eggs is relatively high, the cost of chipsi mayai is not overly prohibitive for Tanzanians. Some foreign volunteers find the dish a welcome alternative to Tanzanian staples such as ugali , maandazi and ubwabwa
Preparation is as follows:
- Skin and cut 3-4 medium-sized potatoes into any size convenient for frying.
- Fry the potatoes in oil until browned into chips.
- Place enough chips into a medium size pan with oil.
- Heat pan.
- Beat two eggs (more or less can be used) well and pour over chips.
- Fry well, then flip using a plate.
- Fry the other side until satisfied. If well-cooked eggs are desired, flip again to ensure enough heat is applied.
Chipsi mayai is often served with kachumbari, an East African salad. If desired, one can also order it with mishikaki (shish kebab) or other meats available. If the mishikaki is added to the chipsi mayai while being cooked, it is commonly referred to as zege, Swahili for concrete. Tomato and chili sauce can be added as well, although in some areas, notably the cold regions of the Southern Highlands, Tanzania, only chili may be available.
- Rachel Khong (2017). Lucky Peach All About Eggs: Everything We Know About the World's Most Important Food. Potter/Ten Speed/Harmony/Rodale. p. 78. ISBN 0804187762.