Chiswick, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
Chiswick Ferry Wharf and apartments
|Population||2,926 (2016 census)|
|Location||9 km (6 mi) west of Sydney CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Canada Bay|
Chiswick is a suburb in the Inner West of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. It is located 9 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of the City of Canada Bay. Chiswick sits on the peninsula between Abbotsford Bay and Five Dock Bay, on the Parramatta River. It is surrounded by the suburbs of Abbotsford, Russell Lea and Drummoyne.
The area around Chiswick was first known by its Aboriginal name Bigi Bigi. The suburb was originally part of Five Dock Farm. In the 1850s a Dr Fortescue owned an estate in this area which he named Chiswick after the village on the Thames, west of London. Parramatta River had been known as the 'Thames of the Antipodes' and other nearby suburbs were also named after Thames localities of Greenwich, Woolwich, Henley and Putney.
From 1884 until 1998, there was a wiremill on the waterfront at Chiswick.
More recently it has been subjected to an increase in the building of many modern apartment blocks, which has seen the population rise to around 2400.
According to the 2011 census, there were 2,470 residents in Chiswick. The most common responses for ancestry in Chiswick were English 19.5%, Australian 16.3%, Italian 12.5%, Irish 8.7% and Chinese 6.8%. The median weekly household income in Chiswick was $2,068, significantly higher than the national median of $1,234.
Transport and commercial area
The Chiswick ferry wharf is used by Parramatta River ferry services. State Transit operate a terminus nearby, with buses running to Circular Quay either via Drummoyne and Victoria Road, or via Leichhardt and Parramatta Road. The bus terminus also has a route running to Campsie station via Burwood station. Chiswick has a small group of shops in Blackwall Point Road, close to the ferry wharf.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Chiswick (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 14 March 2018.
- Australian Suburb Guide: Sydney Inner West Archived 26 December 2012 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollon, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8, page 61
- "Sydney Wiremill | Canada Bay Connections". Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 5 April 2012. Retrieved 5 October 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chiswick, New South Wales.|