Overstreet in 2011
Chord Paul Overstreet|
February 17, 1989
Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.
Chord Overstreet was born in Nashville, Tennessee, to hairdresser Julie (née Miller) and country music singer-songwriter Paul Overstreet. He has an older brother, Nash Overstreet (born 1986), who plays guitar in the band Hot Chelle Rae, an older sister, Summer (born 1987), and three younger sisters, Harmony, Skye and Charity. He is of German, Irish, and English descent. He was named after the musical term of the same name. Overstreet was raised on a farm outside of Nashville. Encouraged by his parents to pursue music, he started playing the mandolin at an early age, and moved on to the drums, flute, piano, and guitar. He is also a songwriter. In his teenage years, Overstreet modeled for advertisements for Hollister, Famous Footwear and Gap.
2009–2014: Beginnings and Glee
Overstreet began to pursue his passion of performing after his high school graduation in 2007. After two unsuccessful years, Overstreet started his acting career on the web series Private as Josh Hollis. He was also featured in an episode of iCarly titled "iSpeed Date" and starred in the unaired pilot of No Ordinary Family. His first film role was that of Teenage Boy in the 2009 thriller The Hole, and he starred in the 2011 film A Warrior's Heart as Dupree, alongside Ashley Greene and Kellan Lutz.
Overstreet played the character of Sam Evans, a transfer student and athlete, on the FOX comedy-drama television series Glee. He landed the role after auditioning with the Commodores' song "Easy" and Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Want to Be". He later sang "Billionaire" by Travie McCoy featuring Bruno Mars as a studio test, and eventually sang this in his debut episode titled "Audition". His cover of "Billionaire" was released as a single and charted at #15 in Ireland, #24 in Canada, #28 in the United States, and #34 in Australia. On April 21, 2011, the video for Hot Chelle Rae's "Tonight Tonight" was released on YouTube and featured a series of cameos of Overstreet alternately making out with a girl (whom he stole from the lead singer) on an office copier, DJing at a club, then playing guitar and mugging for the crowd with his brother, Hot Chelle Rae band member, Nash.
On July 1, 2011, TVLine's Michael Ausiello broke the news that Overstreet's contract option to become a series regular on Glee had not been picked up for season 3, but that he could possibly come back as an occasional guest star. In reaction to the announcement, fans launched a campaign to promote Overstreet's cover of "Billionaire" and various tags related to the actor, most notably "#DontCutTheChord", began trending on Twitter. The song made its way into the iTunes top 5 Glee charts during the campaign.
At the 2011 Comic-Con event, Glee co-creator Brad Falchuk reported that they had offered Overstreet a ten-episode deal with a possibility to become a series regular at mid-season, but that Overstreet had declined the option. Overstreet later stated to Ausiello during an interview that he had decided to leave the show to focus on his music career, explaining: "They offered me the chance to come back for a few episodes, but there was nothing guaranteed so I decided to dive into the music thing." It was reported on October 18, 2011, and confirmed by series co-creator Ryan Murphy six days later, that Overstreet would be returning to Glee as a recurring character starting with the third season's eighth episode. On July 23, 2012, it was confirmed that Overstreet would be a series regular for the fourth season of Glee, where he continued until the last season.
2015–present: Music career
Chord has cited James Taylor, David Gray, Jimmy Buffett, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, and Hall & Oates as musicians that inspire him. On December 15, 2015, Overstreet signed a recording contract with Safehouse Records, a record label founded by Demi Lovato, Nick Jonas and Phil McIntyre. He was the first artist to be signed to the label. He opened for Lovato and Jonas on several tour dates of their Future Now Tour in summer 2016.
On August 26, 2016, Chord released his first official solo single, "Homeland", through Island Records and Safehouse Records. Digital Journal called it "a fitting homage to his hometown", giving the song a five star rating. A music video for the song premiered through Billboard on October 7, 2016. In a September 2016 interview with the Huffington Post, Overstreet revealed that he was working on an EP, yet to be released. In December 2016, he released a cover of "All I Want For Christmas is a Real Good Tan", written by Overstreet's father and originally recorded by Kenny Chesney. Overstreet released a new single, "Hold On", on February 3, 2017. The song peaked at number 31 on the Spotify Viral 50 chart. He released his first EP consisting of four tracks on May 12, 2017, entitled Tree House Tapes.
In June 2017, he was picked as Elvis Duran's Artist of the Month and was featured on NBC's Today show broadcast nationally where he performed live his single "Hold On". He also performed the song on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon on August 14, 2017.
2009 Private (2009 film) Joshua Hollis
|2010||Kick-Ass||Doctor Gravity|
|2011||A Warrior's Heart||Dupree|
|2011||Glee: The 3D Concert Movie||Sam Evans||Concert film|
|2015||4th Man Out||Nick|
|2018||The Swing Of Things||Filming|
|2009||iCarly||Eric||Episode: "iSpeed Date"|
|2010||No Ordinary Family||Lucas Fisher||Episode: "Unaired Pilot"|
|2010–2015||Glee||Sam Evans||91 episodes|
|2011||The Middle||Ralph Wilkerson||Episode: "Hecking Order"|
|2013||Regular Show||Dusty B (voice)||Episode: "The Thanksgiving Special"|
|2015||Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!||Mitchell, Andrew (voice)||Episode: "Mystery 101"|
|2011||"Tonight Tonight"||Hot Chelle Rae|
|Title||Extended play details|
|Tree House Tapes|
|"All I Want for Christmas Is a Real Good Tan"|
Awards and nominations
|2011||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Glee||Nominated|
|2012||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Nominated|
|Hollywood Teen TV Awards||Favorite Breakout Star||Nominated|
|Grammy Awards||Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media||Glee: The Music, Volume 4||Nominated|
|2013||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Glee||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Male Scene Stealer||Won|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor: Comedy||Nominated|
- "Chord Overstreet". TV Guide. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- "Paul Overstreet is a performer who lives his songs". News.google.ca. April 10, 1996. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- Paulson, Dave (June 19, 2009). "Hot Chelle Rae reaches for pop stardom". The Tennessean. Gannett Company. Retrieved October 3, 2010.
- O'Donnell, Shauna (April 27, 2010). "Hot Chelle Rae". MUEN Magazine. Raven's Nest Records. Retrieved October 3, 2010.
- "Chord Overstreet: Bio". Us Weekly. Wenner Media. Retrieved March 4, 2011.
- Berk, Brett (September 21, 2010). "Will Chord Overstreet Go Full Brokeback on Glee?". Vanity Fair. Condé Nast Publications. Retrieved September 23, 2010.
- "A Songwriters Project - Volume 1" (PDF) (Press release). Scarlet Moon Records. 1991. Retrieved September 23, 2010.
- "4 Things We Love About Glee's Chord Overstreet". TVGuide. March 8, 2011. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- '+relative_time(twitters[i].created_at)+' (March 6, 2012). "Chord Overstreet Featured in Zooey Magazine". ClevverTV. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "Chord Overstreet – Country Music Artist Info". Allaccess.com. August 23, 2010. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- Nguyen, Hanh (September 21, 2010). "'Glee': Chord Overstreet talks about his big mouth, name and singing in the shower". Zap2it. Retrieved September 23, 2010.
- Arroyave, Luis (December 20, 2010). "New guy on 'Glee' strikes a Chord with auditioners". Chicago Tribune. Chicago: Tony W. Hunter. Retrieved December 20, 2010.
- Consoli, John (July 26, 2010). "Chord Overstreet Joins 'Glee' Cast". The Wrap. Retrieved September 23, 2010.
- Vena, Jocelyn (September 22, 2010). "'Glee''s Chord Overstreet Sings His Way Into Our Hearts As This Week's Hump Day Hottie". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved September 23, 2010.
- "Chord Overstreet Signs Up for New Directions" (Press release). Fox Broadcasting Company. July 26, 2010. Retrieved September 23, 2010.
- Malkin, Marc (August 10, 2010). "New Glee Star Chord Overstreet Wants to "Beat It"". E!. Retrieved September 23, 2010.
- "Chart Track: TOP 50 SINGLES, WEEK ENDING 30 September 2010". Irish Singles Chart. GfK. Retrieved October 2, 2010.
- "Canadian Hot 100: Week of October 09, 2010 (Biggest Jump)". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved October 2, 2010.
- "Hot 100: Week of October 09, 2010 (Biggest Jump)". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved October 2, 2010.
- "Glee Cast - Billionaire (song)". australian-chart.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved October 6, 2010.
- Hot Chelle Rae - Tonight Tonight JIVE Records, a unit of Sony Music Entertainment. Youtube.com. 2011.
- Ausiello, Michael (July 1, 2011). "Glee Exclusive: Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr. In, Chord Overstreet Out!". TV Line. Mail.com Media. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- "The Fight To Keep Chord Overstreet On 'Glee' Has Begun!". Screenology. July 5, 2011. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- "'Glee': Chord Overstreet fans rally for actor's role". MassLive. July 2, 2011. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- Webb, Matt (July 24, 2011). "Glee Boss Sets the Record Straight on McKinley High's Mass Exodus". TVLine. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "Comic-Con 2011: Glee Panel 1/4". YouTube. July 24, 2011. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- Ausiello, Michael (August 25, 2011). "Exclusive: Chord Overstreet Speaks Out on Leaving Glee and What's Next (Music and The Middle!)". TVLine. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- Ausiello, Michael (October 18, 2011). "UPDATED Glee Exclusive: Chord Overstreet to Return in December!". TV Line. Mail.com Media. Retrieved October 24, 2011.
- Ausiello, Michael (July 23, 2012). "Glee It's Official: Chord Overstreet Now a Glee Series Regular". TV Line. Retrieved July 23, 2012.
- Mahbub, Mufsin (19 September 2016). "Chord Overstreet Talks 'Homeland,' His Father And Life After 'Glee'". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- Elizabeth, De. ""Glee"'s Chord Overstreet Drops Video For Debut Single "Homeland"". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- Havens, Lyndsey. "Chord Overstreet Talks Going Off Script With His Identity, Plus New Nostalgia-Driven Track "Homeland"". Billboard. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Homeland - Single by Chord Overstreet". iTunes Store (US). Apple Inc. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- Papadatos, Markos (10 October 2016). "Review: Chord Overstreet releases heartfelt debut single 'Homeland' (Includes first-hand account)". Digital Journal. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- Stutz, Colin. "Chord Overstreet Returns to Nashville for 'Homeland' Video: Exclusive Premiere". Billboard. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- Blake, Liza. "Chord Overstreet Opts for a Caribbean Christmas With 'All I Want for Christmas Is a Real Good Tan'". Billboard. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- "Hold On - Single by Chord Overstreet on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Chord Overstreet - Chart history - Billboard". www.billboard.com. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "Tree House Tapes - EP". Apple. Retrieved May 17, 2017.
- Chaberski, Chris. "Chord Overstreet Performs 'Hold On' for 'The Tonight Show,' The Mooch Does Colbert: ICYMI". PopCrush. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "Tree House Tapes - EP by Chord Overstreet on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- "Homeland - Chord Overstreet | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- "All I Want for Christmas Is a Real Good Tan - Chord Overstreet | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- Romaine, Jenna (February 3, 2017). "Chord Overstreet Reaches Out to 'Anybody That's Struggling' With Touching New Single 'Hold On'". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- "CHORD OVERSTREET TAKES OFF IN NEW DIRECTION WITH "WASTED TIME" – RELEASED ON ISLAND RECORDS/SAFEHOUSE RECORDS". Highwiredaze. Apr 30, 2018.
- "Overstreet Gets 'Carried Away' With Good Vibes on New Single: Listen". billboard. Jun 15, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chord Overstreet.|