January 7, 1990 |
St. Louis, MO, USA
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||180 lb (82 kg; 12 st 12 lb)|
|NHL team||Ottawa Senators|
|National team||United States|
|NHL Draft||100th overall, 2009
Chris Wideman (born January 7, 1990), is an American professional ice hockey player. He is currently a member of the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was a fourth-round draft pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, 100th overall by the Ottawa Senators.
Born in St. Louis, Missouri, Wideman played high school hockey for Chaminade College Preparatory School. In 2007, Wideman joined the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders of the USHL where he played one year of Tier I junior hockey before entering Miami University in 2008. After one season at Miami, the Ottawa Senators chose him in the 2009 draft. Wideman completed his university eligibility, playing four years of NCAA Division I college hockey for the Miami RedHawks and graduating in 2012. Wideman helped the RedHawks earn their first two trips to the Frozen Four, a national championship game appearance, and their first CCHA tournament title.
Wideman signed with Ottawa and joined the Binghamton Senators for the 2012–13 season. In 2014–15, Wideman had an outstanding season with Binghamton and was awarded the Eddie Shore Award as the AHL's top defenceman. He was called up in January 2015 to Ottawa but did not play during the team's stretch run. Wideman, a potential unrestricted free agent, re-signed with Ottawa on a one-year, two-way contract in June 2015. The contract pays him $600,000 at the NHL level or $400,000 at the AHL level, considered a high salary for the AHL. He is expected to challenge for a NHL job at the Ottawa Senators' training camp and is seventh on their defence depth chart. Wideman stayed with Ottawa after training camp. He made his NHL debut on October 17, 2015 in a home game versus the Nashville Predators. November 7, in his fourth game, Chris scored his first NHL goal in Raleigh, NC against the Carolina Hurricanes. He scored the 2–1 goal on a rebound from a blocked Bobby Ryan shot, 15.59 into the second period.
Regular season and playoffs
|2007–08||Cedar Rapids RoughRiders||USHL||53||2||12||14||51||1||0||0||0||0|
- 2009 - CCHA All-Rookie award
- "Chris Wideman Profile". NHL.com.
- Rutherford, Jeremy (June 28, 2009). "Ottawa picks St. Louisan Notebook • Defenseman Chris Wideman goes in fourth round NHL DRAFT". stltoday.com. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "Miami a Family Affair for Wideman Brothers". Chaminade Red Devils Hockey. June 18, 2014. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- Garrioch, Bruce (2015-06-29). "Senators re-sign prospect Chris Wideman to rich deal". Ottawa Sun. Retrieved 2015-06-29.
- Warren, Ken (2015-06-29). "Opportunity knocks and Senators sign Wideman to a two-way deal". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved 2015-06-29.
- "October monthly award winners named". AHL. November 3, 2014.
- "Miami, Michigan, OSU Land 2 Each on All-Rookie Team". College Hockey News. March 9, 2009.