Chris Matheson (politician)
|Member of Parliament|
for City of Chester
8 May 2015 – 6 November 2019
|Preceded by||Stephen Mosley|
|Succeeded by||Election in progress|
|Shadow Minister for Cabinet Office|
|Assumed office |
12 January 2018
|Born||2 January 1968|
|Alma mater||London School of Economics|
Christian Matheson (born 2 January 1968) is a Labour Party politician in the United Kingdom. He has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for the constituency of City of Chester since winning the seat in the 2015 general election. Matheson has been described as having "slightly left-of-centre views".
Matheson was selected as the Labour Party Parliamentary Candidate for the City of Chester in June 2013. After 7 May 2015 he gained the seat from Conservative Stephen Mosley with a majority of 93 votes, having the 3rd smallest majority of a parliamentary constituency in the UK after the 2015 general election. In July 2015 he became a member of the Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee.
On 27 June 2016, Matheson resigned from his role as Justice Parliamentary Private Secretary, joining many members of Jeremy Corbyn's shadow cabinet team who resigned following the result of the EU referendum result. He went on to nominate Owen Smith for the leadership in the 2016 Labour Party (UK) leadership election. He rejoined the shadow cabinet team following the result and joined the shadow cabinet housing team as Parliamentary Private Secretary to John Healey.
Matheson is a vocal supporter of the so-called People's Vote campaign. Writing in The Guardian, Matheson has called Brexit a "hard rightwing coup." Warning of Brexit extremist plans to "to tie the UK to Trump’s US," Matheson has called for the defence of the "values of fairness, decency and internationalism."
Foreign policy and defence
Matheson has consistently voted against the use of UK military forces in overseas combat missions, including operations targeting ISIL. Matheson has voted against investigations into the UK's involvement in the Iraq War. He is a member of Labour Friends of Israel.
Matheson was brought up in rural Cheshire and lives in Hoole with his family. He is married to Katherine and they have two children, both at school in Chester. Matheson is an avid football fan, supporting both his local Chester F.C. and Everton F.C..
- "City of Chester Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- "Chester Labour MP Chris Matheson back from his first week at Parliament".
- "Christian Matheson MP". UK Parliament.
- chesterchronicle Administrator (8 June 2013). "Labour chooses candidate to fight General Election in Chester". chesterchronicle.
- chesterchronicle Administrator (12 June 2013). "Labour picks union man to fight City of Chester constituency in 2015". chesterchronicle.
- "Members of Parliament 2015 - 2020 in order of majority". politicsresources.net.
- "Who nominated who for the 2015 Labour leadership election?". Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- Holmes, David (18 April 2017). "Chester Labour MP Chris Matheson says: 'I will win'". Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Full list of MPs and MEPs backing challenger Owen Smith - LabourList". 21 July 2016. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "Chester MP Chris Matheson resigns from Shadow Cabinet role following mass resignations within Labour party - Dee 106.3". 27 June 2016. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "Labour reveals full shadow housing team - News - Inside Housing". Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "General Election 2017: Chester MP Chris Matheson celebrates big majority".
- Holmes, Dave (8 January 2019). "Chester MP Chris Matheson: Why I support a second vote on EU membership" (Online publication). Chester Chronicle. Retrieved 24 February 2019.
- Matheson, Chris (7 January 2019). "There is no leftwing justification for Brexit. We must fight it to the last". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 February 2019.
- Matheson, Chris. "How Chris Matheson voted on Foreign Policy and Defence". TheyWorkForYou.com. Retrieved 24 February 2019.
- "LFI Supporters in Parliament". Labour Friends of Israel. Retrieved 8 September 2019.
- Rousseau, Dominique (7 February 2017). "Chris Matheson: 'They are passing around responsibility like a hot a potato.'". Les Coulisses du Foot Business. Retrieved 24 February 2019.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for City of Chester
Election in progress