|Studio album by|
|Recorded||January 5, 1958|
Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack
|Genre||Jazz, hard bop|
|Length||37:34 original LP|
53:35 CD reissue
|Sonny Clark chronology|
Cool Struttin' is an album by jazz pianist Sonny Clark that was released by Blue Note Records in August 1958. Described as an "enduring hard-bop classic" by The New York Times, the album features alto saxophonist Jackie McLean, trumpeter Art Farmer and two members of the Miles Davis Quintet, drummer Philly Joe Jones and bassist Paul Chambers. According to The Stereo Times, the album enjoys "a nearly cult status among hardcore jazz followers", a reputation AllMusic asserts it deserves "for its soul appeal alone".
Originally released on LP in 1958 by Blue Note, the album has been re-released on CD many times, also featuring two bonus tracks. In 1991, Blue Note released a Christmas themed CD called Yule Struttin' with a cover derived from the sleeve design for this album.
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
- Except where otherwise noted, tracks composed by Sonny Clark.
- "Cool Struttin'" – 9:23
- "Blue Minor" – 10:19
- "Sippin' at Bells" (Miles Davis) – 8:18
- "Deep Night" (Charles Henderson, Rudy Vallée) – 9:34
Bonus tracks on CD reissue:
- Sonny Clark – piano
- Jackie McLean – alto saxophone
- Art Farmer – trumpet
- Paul Chambers – bass
- Philly Joe Jones – drums
- Parnes, Sid, ed. (August 9, 1958). "August Album Releases" (PDF). The Cash Box. New York: The Cash Box Publishing Co. Retrieved 6 May 2021.
- Ackerman, Paul, ed. (August 11, 1958). "Reviews and Ratings of New Jazz Albums" (PDF). The Billboard. Cincinnati: The Billboard Publishing Co. p. 28.
- Parnes, Sid, ed. (August 16, 1958). "Cool Struttin'" (PDF). The Cash Box. New York: The Cash Box Publishing Co. Retrieved 6 May 2021.
- Blue Note (August 21, 1958). "Sonny Clark, Louis Smith" (PDF). Down Beat. Chicago/New York: Maher Publications. p. 23.
- Palmer, Robert. (March 18, 1987) The Pop Life; recalling Sonny Clark. The New York Times. Accessed October 28, 2007.
- Merod, Jim. (September 10, 2002). Music in the Key of Clark: Remembering Sonny Clark. The Stereo Times. Accessed October 28, 2007.
- Cool Struttin' review at AllMusic
- Allmusic review
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 41. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 254. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0.
- Cool Struttin' (US Bonus Tracks) at AllMusic
- Havers, Richard (2014). Blue Note: Uncompromising Expression. USA: Chronicle Books. pp. 150–152. ISBN 978-1-4521-4144-2.