|Studio album by|
|Recorded||January 5, 1958|
Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack
|Genre||Jazz, hard bop|
|Length||37:34 original LP|
53:35 CD reissue
|Sonny Clark chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Cool Struttin' is a 1958 album by jazz pianist Sonny Clark. Described as an "enduring hard-bop classic" by The New York Times, the album features alto saxophonist Jackie McLean, trumpeter Art Farmer and two members of the Miles Davis Quintet, drummer Philly Joe Jones and bassist Paul Chambers. According to The Stereo Times, the album enjoys "a nearly cult status among hardcore jazz followers", a reputation AllMusic asserts it deserves "for its soul appeal alone".
Originally released on LP in 1958 by Blue Note, the album has been re-released on CD many times, also featuring two bonus tracks. In 1991, Blue Note released a Christmas themed CD called Yule Struttin' with a cover derived from the sleeve design for this album.
- Except where otherwise noted, tracks composed by Sonny Clark.
- "Cool Struttin'" – 9:23
- "Blue Minor" – 10:19
- "Sippin' at Bells" (Miles Davis) – 8:18
- "Deep Night" (Charles Henderson, Rudy Vallée) – 9:34
Bonus tracks on CD reissue:
- Sonny Clark – piano
- Jackie McLean – alto saxophone
- Art Farmer – trumpet
- Paul Chambers – bass
- Philly Joe Jones – drums
- Schwann Stereo Record Guide, 1966
- Allmusic review
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 41. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Palmer, Robert. (March 18, 1987) The Pop Life; recalling Sonny Clark. The New York Times. Accessed October 28, 2007.
- Merod, Jim. (September 10, 2002). Music in the Key of Clark: Remembering Sonny Clark. The Stereo Times. Accessed October 28, 2007.
- Cool Struttin' review at AllMusic
- Cool Struttin' (US Bonus Tracks) at AllMusic
- Havers, Richard (2014). Blue Note: Uncompromising Expression. USA: Chronicle Books. pp. 150–152. ISBN 978-1-4521-4144-2.