|Studio album by|
|Released||ca. August – October 1958|
|Recorded||January 5, 1958|
Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack
|Genre||Jazz, hard bop|
|Length||37:34 original LP|
53:35 CD reissue
|Sonny Clark chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
Cool Struttin' is an album by jazz pianist Sonny Clark, released by Blue Note Records at some point between August and October 1958. Described as an "enduring hard-bop classic" by The New York Times, the album features alto saxophonist Jackie McLean, trumpeter Art Farmer and two members of the Miles Davis Quintet, drummer Philly Joe Jones and bassist Paul Chambers. According to The Stereo Times, the album enjoys "a nearly cult status among hardcore jazz followers", a reputation AllMusic asserts it deserves "for its soul appeal alone".
Originally released on LP in 1958 by Blue Note, the album has been re-released on CD many times, also featuring two bonus tracks. In 1991, Blue Note released a Christmas themed CD called Yule Struttin' with a cover derived from the sleeve design for this album.
- Except where otherwise noted, tracks composed by Sonny Clark.
- "Cool Struttin'" – 9:23
- "Blue Minor" – 10:19
- "Sippin' at Bells" (Miles Davis) – 8:18
- "Deep Night" (Charles Henderson, Rudy Vallée) – 9:34
Bonus tracks on CD reissue:
- Sonny Clark – piano
- Jackie McLean – alto saxophone
- Art Farmer – trumpet
- Paul Chambers – bass
- Philly Joe Jones – drums
- "August Album Releases" (PDF). The Cash Box. New York: The Cash Box Publishing Co. August 9, 1958. Retrieved 6 May 2021.
- "Cool Struttin'" (PDF). The Cash Box. New York: The Cash Box Publishing Co. August 16, 1958. Retrieved 6 May 2021.
- "Clark, Sonny". Schwann Long Playing Record Catalog. Boston: W. Schwann, Inc. 17 (3). 1965. Retrieved 18 June 2020.
- Allmusic review
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 41. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 254. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0.
- Palmer, Robert. (March 18, 1987) The Pop Life; recalling Sonny Clark. The New York Times. Accessed October 28, 2007.
- Merod, Jim. (September 10, 2002). Music in the Key of Clark: Remembering Sonny Clark. The Stereo Times. Accessed October 28, 2007.
- Cool Struttin' review at AllMusic
- Cool Struttin' (US Bonus Tracks) at AllMusic
- Havers, Richard (2014). Blue Note: Uncompromising Expression. USA: Chronicle Books. pp. 150–152. ISBN 978-1-4521-4144-2.