Cork Medical Centre
|Cork Medical Centre|
|Location||Mahon, County Cork, Ireland|
|Lists||Hospitals in the Republic of Ireland|
The Cork Medical Centre was a private hospital in Cork, Ireland. It was the first private hospital to open in Cork in 90 years. It was opened by the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Micheàl Martin, TD for Cork South Central on 15 October 2010.
The Sheehan family are private hospital developers in Ireland. Dr. Joe Sheehan, Chairman of Sheehan Medical, is an orthopaedic surgeon at the Loyola University Health System. In the 1970s Dr. Sheehan set up the Blackrock Clinic in Dublin with his brother Dr. Jimmy Sheehan and in 2005 developed the Galway Clinic, also in Ireland.
It was announced that funds had been fully secured for the hospital.
It was later announced that Sheehan Medical, the hospital's operators, had signed a €750,000 deal with Boston company MEDITECH to supply their integrated health care information system to the new private hospital. This was MEDITECH's third Irish deal with Sheehan Medical after previously supplying the system to their other hospitals the Galway Clinic and the Blackrock Clinic.
The clinic was closed on 9 March 2011. The reason for the closure was said to be the failure by the operators to reach an agreement with the insurer, VHI. KPMG was appointed as liquidator in May 2011.
- "Hospital and call centre set to create 550 jobs | Irish Examiner". Examiner.ie. 16 June 2009. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- "The Sunday Business Post". Thepost.ie. Archived from the original on 1 October 2011. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- "Funds secured for new Cork hospital". thepost.ie. Archived from the original on 1 October 2011. Retrieved 14 February 2010. global health
- English, Eoin (7 April 2010). "Private hospital signs €750k deal for advanced IT system". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- "Made by hand Kitchen Furniture for virtually every Traditional Look". corkmedicalcentre.com. Retrieved 25 May 2012.[dead link]
- "Cork Medical Centre 'effectively closed' from today ·". Thejournal.ie. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- "Liquidator appointed to Cork Medical Centre". The Irish Times. 6 May 2011.