Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
|Health Service Executive|
One of the Hospital's main buildings
|Location||Beaumont, County Dublin, Ireland|
|Affiliated university||Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland|
Dublin City University
The planning for the hospital, which was commissioned to replace the Richmond Surgical Hospital and the Jervis Street Hospital began in 1977. The design was based on the scheme for the Cork University Hospital. It was built at a cost of €52.7 million and was officially opened on 29 November 1987. Beaumont Hospital took over management of St. Joseph's Hospital in Raheny in August 2004.
The Dublin Brain Bank, a research facility for post mortem storage and examination of brain tissue, opened at Beaumont Hospital in October 2008. A new cystic fibrosis unit opened at the hospital in December 2010 and a new radiation therapy unit for cancer treatment was established at the hospital in 2012.
The hospital provides 820 beds, of which 631 are in-patient acute beds, while 110 are reserved for acute day cases. A further 10 beds are designated for in-patient psychiatric care. Beaumont Hospital provides regional cancer services to the North East Region of the Republic of Ireland and was designated as one of Ireland's eight Cancer Centres of Excellence in 2007. The Smurfit Education & Research Centre, established in 2000, is the principal clinical research centre on the site of Beaumont Hospital.
Beaumont is the principal undergraduate and postgraduate medical training and research centre associated with the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland with whom it shares its campus. It also provides clinical training for undergraduate nursing students from Dublin City University.
Deaths at the hospital include:
- John Hinds, motorcycle rapid response Doctor, died following accident at a Skerries 100 practice session, 2015
- Robbie McCallion, member of the Garda Síochána, died after being injured on duty, 2009
- Laurence Ryan, Bishop of Kildare, died 2003
- "Six hospital groups 'most fundamental reform in decades'". Irish Medical Times. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 27 May 2019.
- "Beaumont Hospital 1987-2017 Recollections at 30 years". Irish Medical Times. 11 January 2018. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "Report of the announced monitoring assessment at Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, incorporating St Joseph's Hospital, Dublin" (PDF). Health Information and Quality Authority. 31 October 2013. p. 6. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "What I did today... Dr Mary McElroy Dublin Brain Bank". The Independent. 14 March 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "Beaumont Hospital opens cystic fibrosis unit". RTE. 10 December 2010. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "Two radiation oncology centres opened". RTE. 12 March 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- Beaumont Hospital Archived 2011-09-27 at the Wayback Machine voluntary hospital governed by Hospital Board and the Irish Health Service Executive
- "Ahern says care is top priority in cancer plan". Irish Times. 21 November 2007. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "Smurfit Building, Beaumont Hospital". Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "Clinical Placements Information". Dublin City University. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- O'Doherty, Aine (4 July 2015). "Irish road racing travelling medic Dr John Hinds dies following crash in north Dublin". Irish Mirror. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- "McCallion, Robert". Garda Síochána. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Baltinglass mourns the death of Bishop Laurence Ryan". Wicklow People. 16 October 2003. Retrieved 4 May 2019.