Spangenberg with the Lake Elsinore Storm
|San Diego Padres – No. 15|
March 16, 1991 |
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
|September 1, 2014, for the San Diego Padres|
(through 2017 season)
|Runs batted in||84|
Spangenberg graduated from Abington Heights High School in Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania, in 2009. During his senior year, he led the Abington Heights Comets varsity baseball team to a Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association Class AAA state championship.
Spangenberg attended the Virginia Military Institute (VMI) in 2010, and played college baseball for the VMI Keydets. He was named the Big South Conference's freshman of the year. He transferred to Indian River State College in 2011, stating that the military commitment of VMI took too much time away from baseball and his coursework. He was drafted by the San Diego Padres in the first round, with the 10th overall selection, of the 2011 MLB Draft. Spangenberg signed with the Padres, receiving a $1.863 million signing bonus. Before the 2012 season, MLB.com rated Spangenberg as the 81st best prospect in baseball.
He played for two teams in 2011, the Lake Elsinore Storm in 2012, and Lake Elsinore and the San Antonio Missions in 2013. While playing for the Missions of the Class AA Texas League in 2014, Spangenberg was named the league's player of the month for July. The Padres promoted Spangenberg to the major leagues on September 1. He hit a walk-off home run off Brad Ziegler of the Arizona Diamondbacks in his second Major League game.
By June 2015, Spangenberg began to gain playing time at second base, due to the struggles of Jedd Gyorko. He suffered a knee injury in late June and went on the disabled list, returning in mid-August. Pat Murphy, the Padres' interim manager, had Spangenberg and Gyorko both play shortstop in addition to second base for the Padres later in the season.
- Lacy Lusk (June 30, 2011). "Padres first-round pick Cory Spangenberg is off to a fast start after signing quickly". Washington Post. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "Padres select left-handed-hitting infielder Cory Spangenberg with the 10th overall Draft pick". San Diego Padres. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "2012 Prospect Watch | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. May 24, 2013. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- CONOR FOLEY / STAFF WRITER. "Cory Spangenberg: 'AS GOOD AS I'VE FELT'". thetimes-tribune.com. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "Spangenberg calls big league callup 'surreal'". San Diego Padres. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- Vingle, Mitch (June 9, 2015). "The state of the state's MLB players". Charleston Gazette. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- "Padres infielder Cory Spangenberg (knee contusion) making slow progress - SanDiegoUnionTribune.com". The San Diego Union-Tribune. July 10, 2015. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- Fox Sports. "Padres reinstate infielder Cory Spangenberg". FOX Sports. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "Padres interim manager Pat Murphy not ruling out shortstop for Cory Spangenberg - SanDiegoUnionTribune.com". The San Diego Union-Tribune. August 22, 2015. Retrieved September 23, 2015.