Coup de Torchon
|Coup de Torchon|
|Directed by||Bertrand Tavernier|
|Produced by||Henri Lassa
|Written by||Bertrand Tavernier
|Based on||Pop. 1280
by Jim Thompson
|Music by||Philippe Sarde|
|Edited by||Armand Psenny|
|Distributed by||Parafrance Films (France)
Biograph Int'l (US)
|Box office||$16.5 million|
Coup de Torchon is a 1981 French film adaptation of Jim Thompson's 1964 novel Pop. 1280, directed by Bertrand Tavernier. The film changes the novel's setting from a West Texas oil boom town to a small town in French West Africa. The film had 2,199,309 Admissions in France and was the 16th most attended film of the year.
Lucien Cordier (Philippe Noiret) is an ineffectual local constable with a cheating wife and laughable job. He accepts condescension from his superiors and his wife with good humor, as his antisocial personality allows him to tolerate such abuse. However, he soon realizes that he can use his position to gain vengeance with impunity, and he starts to kill everyone who has regarded him as a fool.
Awards and honors
- Academy Awards (USA)
- Nominated: Best Foreign Language Film
- César Awards (France)
- Nominated: Best Actor – Leading Role (Philippe Noiret)
- Nominated: Best Actor – Supporting Role (Jean-Pierre Marielle)
- Nominated: Best Actor – Supporting Role (Eddy Mitchell)
- Nominated: Best Actress – Leading Role (Isabelle Huppert)
- Nominated: Best Actress – Supporting Role (Stéphane Audran)
- Nominated: Best Director (Bertrand Tavernier
- Nominated: Best Editing (Armand Psenny)
- Nominated: Best Film
- Nominated: Best Production Design (Alexandre Trauner)
- Nominated: Best Writing (Jean Aurenche and Bertrand Tavernier)
- French Syndicate of Cinema Critics (France)
- Won: Best Film (tied with Garde à vue)
- Isabelle Huppert filmography
- List of submissions to the 55th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of French submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- Farber, Stephen (1990-01-21). "In the Desert, a Jim Thompson Novel Blossoms on Film". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-04-10.
- Maslin, Janet (1982-12-20). "Clean Slate (1981) 'Coup De Torchon,' Life In A French Colony". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-04-10.
- "Coup de torchon (1981)". JPBox-Office. 1981-11-04. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "The 55th Academy Awards (1983) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- Coup de Torchon at the Internet Movie Database
- Coup de Torchon at AllMovie
- Criterion Collection essay by Michael Dare