April 8, 1971|
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
Craig Mazin (born April 8, 1971) is an American screenwriter and film director. He is known for writing Identity Thief, The Hangover Part II, The Hangover Part III, and The Huntsman: Winter's War. He is currently working on a five-part miniseries for HBO and Sky based on the Chernobyl disaster. Mazin co-hosts the Scriptnotes podcast alongside fellow screenwriter John August.
Mazin was born in Brooklyn, New York, and raised on Staten Island, New York. He moved to Marlboro Township, New Jersey when he was a teen and attended Freehold High School which inducted him into its Hall of Fame in 2010.
He graduated magna cum laude with a degree in psychology from Princeton University in 1992. His freshman year roommate at Princeton was Ted Cruz, now the junior U.S. Senator from Texas and a former Republican candidate for the 2016 presidential election year. He has been highly critical of Cruz and ridicules him frequently from his Twitter account.
He made his screenwriting debut with 1997's sci-fi comedy RocketMan, co-written with then-writing partner Greg Erb. He has since written movies such as Senseless, Scary Movie 3, Scary Movie 4 and Identity Thief.
In 2004, Mazin was elected to the board of directors of the Writers Guild of America, West. He did not seek re-election, and his term expired in September 2006.
Along with fellow former WGA board member Ted Elliott, Mazin ran a website called The Artful Writer, which focused on issues relevant to working screenwriters. It closed in 2011, after seven years.
|1997||RocketMan||Screenplay, Story by||Screenplay by Craig Mazin and Greg Erb, story by Oren Aviv, Craig Mazin & Greg Erb|
|1998||Senseless||Written by||With Greg Erb|
|2000||The Specials||Director, Co-Producer|
|2003||Scary Movie 3||Written by||Written by Craig Mazin and Pat Proft|
|2006||Scary Movie 4||Screenplay, Story by, Producer||Screenplay by Craig Mazin, Jim Abrahams & Pat Proft, story by Craig Mazin|
|School for Scoundrels||Executive Producer|
|2008||Superhero Movie||Written by, Director, Producer|
|2011||The Hangover Part II||Written by||With Scot Armstrong & Todd Phillips|
|2012||The Words||Special thanks|
|2013||Identity Thief||Screenplay, story||Screenplay by Craig Mazin, story by Craig Mazin and Jerry Eeten|
|The Hangover Part III||Written by||With Todd Phillips|
|Free Birds||Special thanks|
|2016||The Huntsman: Winter's War||Writer||With Evan Spiliotopoulos|
|2016||Don't Think Twice||Special thanks|
|2018||Chernobyl||Creator, Executive Producer, Writer||TV miniseries, filming|
- Celano, Clare Marie. "Freehold Hall of Fame inductees to be feted", News Transcript, March 3, 2010. Accessed February 5, 2011. "Screenwriter and author Craig Mazin, a native of Staten Island, N.Y., was 13 when he moved to Marlboro."
- Patricia Murphy. "Ted Cruz at Princeton: Creepy, Sometimes Well Liked, and Exactly the Same"
- Millstein, Seth (April 16, 2016). "These 17 Craig Mazin Tweets About Ted Cruz Are Some Of The Funniest Of The Campaign". Bustle. Retrieved March 6, 2018.
- "Interview (Part 1): Craig Mazin – Go Into The Story". Go Into The Story. 2013-07-29. Retrieved 2017-11-24.
- Scriptnotes on iTunes
- Littleton, Cynthia (2017-07-26). "HBO Sets 'Chernobyl' Miniseries to Star Jared Harris". Variety. Retrieved 2017-09-06.