|Member of the Australian Parliament
28 June 2008
|Preceded by||Peter McGauran|
|Born||Darren Jeffrey Chester
13 September 1967
Sale, Victoria, Australia
|Political party||National Party of Australia|
|Children||Morgan, Jamieson, Clancy, Lachlan|
|Occupation||Journalist, Political advisor|
Darren Jeffrey Chester (born 13 September 1967) is an Australian politician. He has been a member of the House of Representatives for Gippsland in Victoria, representing the National Party since 2008. Chester served as the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Defence in the Abbott ministry from September 2013 to September 2015. In the Turnbull Government he was appointed Assistant Minister for Defence from 21 September 2015.
Prior to entering federal politics, he worked as a newspaper and television journalist throughout Gippsland and was chief of staff to Peter Ryan, the leader of the Nationals in the Victorian state parliament. Chester contested Gippsland East as the National Party candidate at the 2002 Victorian state election, losing to independent Craig Ingram. In 2004, he unsuccessfully stood for National Party preselection for the Senate position held by Julian McGauran. McGauran retained his party endorsement and was re-elected later that year, only to defect to the Liberals in 2006.
- Chester, Darren (26 August 2008). "First Speech to Parliament" (PDF). Hansard: House of Representatives. Parliament of Australia. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "Tony Abbott's cabinet and outer ministry". The Sydney Morning Herald. AAP. 16 September 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Parliament of Australia website for Darren Chester". Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- State Election 2002: Gippsland East District
- Wright, Tony (28 June 2008). "Timely political payback by McGauran?". The Age.
- Parliament House Library
- Darren Chester first National MP to announce support for same-sex marriage ABC
- "About Darren Chester". Darren Chester MP. Darren Chester. 2013. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Parliamentary biography
- First Speech to Parliament – Google Video
- First Speech to Parliament – Text
- Search or browse Hansard for Darren Chester at OpenAustralia.org
|Parliament of Australia|
|Member for Gippsland