|Minister for the Environment|
18 September 2013
|Prime Minister||Tony Abbott|
|Preceded by||Mark Butler|
|Member of the Australian Parliament
10 November 2001
|Preceded by||Peter Reith|
18 November 1965 |
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
|Political party||Liberal Party of Australia|
|Alma mater||University of Melbourne (BA, LLB)
Yale University (MA)
Gregory Andrew "Greg" Hunt (born 18 November 1965) is an Australian politician and has been a Liberal member of the Australian House of Representatives since November 2001, representing the Division of Flinders, Victoria. He has been the Minister for the Environment since 18 September 2013.
Background and early career
Hunt was born in Melbourne and was educated at The Peninsula School. He graduated from Melbourne Law School with a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours), where he won a prize for a final year thesis he co-authored entitled A Tax to Make the Polluter Pay. He subsequently studied at Yale University, where he was a Fulbright Scholar and obtained a Master of Arts in International Relations. He was Associate to the Chief Justice of the Australian Federal Court in 1992.
Hunt was senior adviser to Alexander Downer, both as Leader of the Opposition (1994–95) and Minister for Foreign Affairs (1995–98). He worked for McKinsey & Company (1999–2001) and was Director of Strategy at the World Economic Forum in Geneva (2000–01).
Hunt was appointed Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for the Environment and Heritage in October 2004. In January 2007 he was appointed Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Foreign Affairs. Following the 2007 election, Hunt was appointed Shadow Minister for Climate Change, Environment and Urban Water. After the 2010 election, he was re-appointed to the Shadow Ministry as Shadow Minister for Climate Change, Environment and Heritage.
After the 2013 election, Hunt was appointed Minister for the Environment under Prime Minister Tony Abbott on 18 September 2013. One of his first actions as minister was to inform Tim Flannery, the head of the Gillard government's Climate Commission, that the government was closing this body.
- "Tony Abbott's cabinet and outer ministry". Sydney Morning Herald. AAP. 16 September 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Greg's on desperate Hunt for credibility". dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "The Hon Greg Hunt MP". Parliament of Australia. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Liberate the True Liberals". Andrew Leigh. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "A Tax to Make the Polluter Pay". petermartin.com.au. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "What Greg Hunt Really Thinks". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "About Greg". Greghunt.com.au. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "The Hon Greg Hunt MP". Ministerial appointments Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for the Environment and Heritage from 26.10.04 to 30.1.07. Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Foreign Affairs from 30.1.07 to 3.12.07. Minister for the Environment from 18.9.13. Australian Government. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Commonwealth Government – Abbott Ministry". Parliament of Australia. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Abbott shuts down Climate Commission". Melbourne: theage.com.au. 19 September 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority approves plan to dump Abbot Point spoil". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
|Parliament of Australia|
|Member for Flinders
as Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Water
|Minister for the Environment