|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1984||St. Thomas (FL) (Asst.)|
|2012–2016||South Dakota State|
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
|MVC Coach of the Year: 1995, 1997|
Dave Schrage in an American college baseball coach, currently serving as head coach of the Butler University baseball program. He was named to that position on July 5, 2016.
After completing his degree at Creighton, Schrage accepted a position as a graduate assistant at St. Thomas, working for Paul Mainieri in 1984. The following season, he returned to Creighton as an assistant coach before coaching the Queensland Rams club team in Australia. He earned his first head coaching job at Waldorf, then a junior college in 1987. After three seasons and a 61–66 record, Schrage moved to Northern Iowa. He would remain with the Panthers for nine seasons, improving the team's win totals from 2 to 18 during his tenure and earning a pair of Missouri Valley Conference Coach of the Year awards. He would be honored as the only person to be named All-Conference and Coach of the Year in baseball by the MVC at their Centennial Celebration. From 2000 to 2002, Schrage served as head coach at Northern Illinois. He took over a team that recorded only 4 wins the previous season and guided them to 24 wins in his first year and a winning season in his second. He was named runner-up for the National Coach of the Year Award by Collegiate Baseball. Schrage then moved to Evansville, where he led the Purple Aces to 130 wins and a regional final in the 2006 NCAA Tournament. Schrage then earned what he called his dream job, succeeding Mainieri as head coach at Notre Dame. Prior to coaching a game, his wife Jody died from cancer. Schrage was not able to continue Mainieri's success with the Irish, and was fired after four years. He was hired to coach the Jackrabbits in the summer of 2011. After coaching the Jackrabbits to a 136–144–1 record over the past 5 seasons, on July 5, 2016 he was hired to be the head coach of Butler University within the Big East conference.
Head coaching record
|Waldorf Warriors (Iowa Community College Athletic Conference) (1988–1990)|
|Northern Iowa (Mid-Continent Conference) (1991)|
|1991||Northern Iowa||13–44||1–9||3rd (Gray)||Mid-Con Tournament|
|Northern Iowa Panthers (Missouri Valley Conference) (1992–1999)|
|1996||Northern Iowa||26–32||13–19||6th||MVC Tournament|
|1997||Northern Iowa||32–23||18–8||2nd||MVC Tournament|
|Northern Illinois Huskies (Mid-American Conference) (2000–2002)|
|2000||Northern Illinois||24–33||11–15||3rd (West)||MAC Tournament|
|2001||Northern Illinois||28–27||10–17||T-5th (West)|
|2002||Northern Illinois||23–32||11–14||5th (West)|
|Evansville Purple Aces (Missouri Valley Conference) (2003–2006)|
|Notre Dame Fighting Irish (Big East Conference) (2007–2010)|
|2007||Notre Dame||28–28||11–15||7th (12)||Big East Tournament[a]|
|2008||Notre Dame||33–21–1||16–10||3rd (12)||Big East Tournament[b]|
|2009||Notre Dame||36–23||15–12||5th (12)||Big East Tournament[c]|
|2010||Notre Dame||22–32||10–17||9th (12)|
|South Dakota State Jackrabbits (Summit League) (2012–2016)|
|2012||South Dakota State||18–33–1||7–14||6th (7)|
|2013||South Dakota State||35–24||16–10||2nd (6)||NCAA Regional|
|2014||South Dakota State||28–29||11–11||2nd (5)||Summit Tournament|
|2015||South Dakota State||33–23||17–11||2nd (6)||Summit Tournament|
|2016||South Dakota State||22–35||13–17||4th (6)||Summit Tournament|
|Butler Bulldogs (Big East Conference) (2017–present)|
Postseason invitational champion
- The top 8 finishers of the Big East's 12 teams qualified for the tournament in 2007.
- The top 8 finishers of the Big East's 12 teams qualified for the tournament in 2008.
- The top 8 finishers of the Big East's 12 teams qualified for the tournament in 2009.
- "Dave Schrage Bio". South Dakota State Jackrabbits. Archived from the original on November 13, 2013. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Dave Schrage Bio". Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "SDSU hires former Notre Dame baseball coach Dave Schrage". Brookings Register. Brookings, SD. August 11, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Sean Stires (June 14, 2010). "Schrage Fired At Notre Dame". College Baseball 360. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Dave Schrage Will Not Be Retained As Notre Dame Head Baseball Coach". Notre Dame Fighting Irish. June 14, 2010. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Marlen Garcia (May 10, 2007). "Notre Dame coach Dave Schrage stays strong". USA Today. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Jacob Boyer (July 29, 2008). "Baseball in the blood". Wednesday Journal. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Notre Dame baseball coach's wife dies". ESPN. January 9, 2007. Retrieved November 14, 2013.
- "Yearly College Baseball Standings". BoydsWorld.com. Boyd Nation. Archived from the original on June 5, 2014. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "MAC Tournament History" (PDF). MAC-Sports.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 9, 2014. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "2014 The Summit League Baseball Record Book" (PDF). TheSummitLeague.org. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 9, 2014. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "2014 Missouri Valley Conference Baseball Record Book" (PDF). MVC.org. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 9, 2014. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "2014 The Summit League Baseball Standings". D1Baseball.com. Jeremy and Cynthia Mills. Archived from the original on June 9, 2014. Retrieved June 9, 2014.