David Croft (broadcaster)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Croft at the 2011 Goodwood Festival of Speed
|Born||19 June 1970|
Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England, UK
|Known for||Sports commentary|
Croft spent three years working at BBC Three Counties Radio, first as a sports reporter then as Sports Editor. He moved to BBC Radio 5 Live in December 1998. During his time at the station he covered the 2002 FIFA World Cup, 2004 Athens Summer Olympics and presented Saturday Sport on 5 during the summer of 2004 and 2005.
BBC Sport commentator
Formula One commentator
Croft was the BBC Radio 5 Live Formula One commentator and presenter, succeeding Maurice Hamilton at the start of the 2006 Formula 1 season. He worked alongside former Super Aguri, Honda and Minardi F1 driver Anthony Davidson and pitlane reporters Ted Kravitz and Natalie Pinkham, covering each Grand Prix and qualifying as well as the three practice sessions which could be heard via the BBC Red Button service, BBC Sport Online and BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra. It was announced on 7 December 2011, that Croft would be lead commentator for Sky Television's coverage of F1 for the 2012 season, and would be joined by Anthony Davidson, Ted Kravitz, Natalie Pinkham and Martin Brundle.
Croft has also commentated on the BDO World Darts Championship and Winmau World Masters for BBC Television from 2004 to 2012 after first covering the World Championship for BBC Radio 5 Live in 2002. From 2013 onwards, Croft has been working as a presenter and occasional commentator for Sky Sports' coverage of Professional Darts Corporation events.
Further commentary work
His work outside the BBC has included commentary on:
- two rounds of the 2010 FIA GT1 World Championship and FIA GT3 European Championship in Brno and Portimao as well as one round of the 2011 FIA GT1 World Championship and FIA GT3 European Championship season, both at Silverstone.
- boxing for Setanta Sports including Joe Calzaghe's farewell fight against Roy Jones Jnr at Madison Square Garden
- the 2008 and 2009 Free Running World Championship
- the 2009 Goodwood Revival and 2010, 2011 and 2012 Goodwood Festival of Speed
- The Race on Sky 1
- Red Bull Track Attack for ITV
- the F1 in Schools competition, namely for the world finals events
- presenter of the 2014 and 2016 World Branding Awards
Video games and film
Croft also presents a midweek sports show and Monday night football phone in on BBC London 94.9FM where he has also stood in for Paul Ross and co-presented the Breakfast show first with Jo-Anne Good and then Gaby Roslin.
- Meet the Host : David Croft | Comet Sports Awards 2015
- BBC - Press Office - David Croft
- Sky Sports unveil Formula One team fronted by Martin Brundle, Georgie Thompson and Steve Rider - Telegraph
- "Asian Brands Honoured at the 2014 World Branding Awards". Yahoo Finance. 29 October 2014. Archived from the original on 16 February 2015. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "Thai Brands among 210 Winners of the 2016 World Branding Awards at Kensington Palace". Thai Business News. 21 September 2016. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Lofty Crofty hits the heights". The Sun. 27 March 2013. Retrieved 29 April 2014.