F1 2011 (video game)
European PS3 box art
|Engine||EGO Engine 2.0|
F1 2011 is a Readers' Choice Award-winning video game based on the 2011 season of the Formula One world championship. It is the sequel to the 2010 video game based on the same series. The game was released in September 2011 on the Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 platforms, November 2011 on the Nintendo 3DS and February 2012 on the PlayStation Vita. It has sold 3.5 million units worldwide. The game engine is based on the new EGO 2.0 engine, an unofficially titled evolution of the EGO 1.5 engine that was created specially for the title.
All twelve teams and twenty-four drivers that started the 2011 season are featured in the game, though mid-season driver changes did not take place due to licensing restrictions. The entire calendar of nineteen circuits from the 2011 season is present, including the new Buddh International Circuit in India. Certain circuits also feature day-to-night transitions.
At E3, Codemasters announced that the focus of F1 2011 is to "Be the Driver, Live the Life, Go Compete". and that multiplayer aspects of the game are being emphasized as a part of this. Online multiplayer have a maximum of sixteen players in a race with the option to include an additional eight AI-controlled cars. Objectives are also included in multiplayer. A split-screen multiplayer mode is implemented, as is an online co-operative championship. In August 2011, Codemasters announced that the safety car would be implemented in the game following its absence in F1 2010, and that it would be available in races that are 20% of real race distance or longer. Red flags are also included for situations where the safety car cannot get around the track, but not for extreme weather conditions. Rule changes for the 2011 season, including KERS, DRS and Pirelli tyres are also featured in the game.
Features of the game include a career mode in which you make yourself a driver and just simulate the driving experience. Another mode is the Grand Prix in which you pick a professional driver and create your own Formula 1 season. There is also a "Proving Grounds" mode in which is a time trial to compete against other players around the world. There is also a Multiplayer option in which you can race with other players in a variety of gaming modes.
Early critical response was positive, with reviews praised improvements in handling and AI and the way new rule changes - in particular KERS and DRS - added an additional layer of strategy to the game. IGN remarked that the differences in using these features helped separate qualifying and racing into two separate gameplay modes.
- "F1 2011 gets September launch, NGP and 3DS versions confirmed". VG247. 24 March 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "F1 2011 Lines Up on 3DS on 25th November - 3DS News @ Nintendo Life". 3ds.nintendolife.com. 2011-11-02. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Bespoke handheld editions of F1 2011 are also in production". formula1-game.com. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- "F1 2011 set to be a PS Vita launch".
- "F1 2011 to get Split Screen Mode". Gamepur.com. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- Andy says:. "F1 2011 Video Game Receives Official Release Date : Product Reviews Net". Product-reviews.net. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- Oli Welsh (17 August 2011). "F1 2011 gets safety car News - - Page 1". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Gamescom: F1 2011 Interview - Part 2". allaboutgames.co.uk. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- CODEMASTER. GAME MODES - Career. Formula 1 2011 Gaming manual , p. 06.
- CODEMASTER. GAME MODES - Grand Prix. Formula 1 2011 Gaming manual , p. 06.
- CODEMASTER. GAME MODES - Proving Grounds. Formula 1 2011 Gaming manual , p. 06.
- CODEMASTER. GAME MODES - Multiplayer. Formula 1 2011 Gaming manual , p. 06.
- Play magazine review, issue 211, Imagine Publishing
- "F1 2011 Review - IGN". Au.ps3.ign.com. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- Robinson, Martin (2011-09-16). "F1 2011 Review • Page • Reviews • Xbox 360 •". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "F1 2011". Gaming News. Blue Ripple Sound. 23 September 2011. Retrieved 21 November 2013.