|The Right Reverend
|Honorary assistant bishop|
|Church||Church of England|
|Other posts||Vicar of Arundel with Tortington
Bishop of Wangaratta
|Consecration||1 February 1998|
|Born||May 1944 (age 73)
Surrey, United Kingdom
Early life and education
Farrer was born in Surrey, England, and moved to Melbourne, Australia, with his family at a young age. After secondary school at Mentone Grammar School he attended a horticultural college in Melbourne, completing his apprenticeship as a horticulturalist before beginning training for the ordained ministry in Adelaide in 1965.
Farrer was ordained a priest in 1969 and served in several parishes, as a canon of St Paul's Cathedral, Melbourne, the Archdeacon of La Trobe and later as the Archdeacon of Melbourne and chaplain to the Parliament of Victoria.
Farrer's commitment to community work in Australia earned him the title of Citizen of the Year in Brunswick in 1983 "for work with the unemployed and homeless" and Commander of Merit with the Order of St Lazarus in 1994, for launching a street ministry initiative, the Lazarus Centre, in Melbourne.
Farrer was consecrated as bishop in 1998 at St Paul's Cathedral, Melbourne and then enthroned as Bishop of Wangaratta at Holy Trinity Cathedral in Wangaratta, a rural diocese in Victoria. During his time in Wangaratta he helped to establish four low-fee Anglican schools in the diocese.
In 2008 Farrer was appointed vicar of the combined parishes of St Nicholas' Church, Arundel and St Leonard's Church, South Stoke, West Sussex and as an assistant bishop in the Diocese of Chichester in England. He is married to Helen Farrer.
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8[unreliable source?]
- Biographical details
- Diocese of Wangaratta Yearbook 2014 (PDF), Bishop’s Registry
- Order of Service at the Consecration of the Venerable Ralph David Farrer, Scholar in Theology, Priest, Chaplain to the Parliament of Victoria, Vicar of St Peter's Church, Eastern Hill, Melbourne, Canon of St Paul's Cathedral to the Office of a Bishop in the Church of God on the Eve of the Presentation of Christ in the Temple, Sunday, 1 February 1998 at 5 Pm. Christ Church Press. 1998.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 2008/2009 (100th edition), Church House Publishing (ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0).
- Anglican Communion Directory, March 2000
|Anglican Communion titles|
|Bishop of Wangaratta
1998 – 2008
|This article about an individual Australian Anglican bishop or archbishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|