This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||New York, NY, United States|
|Peter Bittenbender (co-founder, CEO)
Jason Goldwatch (co-founder)
Decon is a New York-based creative studio. Housing production, creative, strategy and music divisions, the company creates campaigns on behalf of brands and advertising agencies.
Originally named Deconstruction Company, the company was founded in 2002 by Peter Bittenbender and Jason Goldwatch after the creation of their award-winning hip-hop documentary and accompanying soundtrack, One Big Trip. The soundtrack was released as a double-sided DVD/CD in 2002 with Hieroglyphic Imperium Records - it is thought to be the first hip-hop-centric release in the hybrid format.
In 2012, Decon earned a Promax Award for work on NBCUniversal's "Green Week" campaign. That year, Misha Louy and Sacha Jenkins both joined as partners, expanding the Production and Entertainment divisions.
Decon Records is the independent record label that is a division of Decon. It got its start releasing underground hip-hop recordings. It was established in 2003. In 2013, Decon Records was noted as one of Billboard’s 50 Best Independent Labels in America. Decon Records began by collaborating with the west coast collective Project Blowed to release projects from Aceyalone of the Freestyle Fellowship, such as Love & Hate which features production from El-P and RJD2. Other early Decon Records projects include partnering with The Roots to establish Okayplayer Records. The label provided further releases from Aceyalone as well as RJD2’s Magnificent City Instrumentals (2006) and Evidence’s Red Tape Instrumentals (2007). In 2008, the label released an album from frequent Talib Kweli and Mos Def collaborator, 88-Keys, called The Death of Adam. The album featured Kid Cudi and Redman and was executive produced by Kanye West. The video for the lead single “Stay Up! (Viagra)” was directed by Decon co-founder Jason Goldwatch and premiered on MTV.
The following year, Decon licensed RJD2’s “A Beautiful Mine” as the theme song for the AMC show Mad Men. That year, Decon released Jay Electronica's Just Blaze-produced tracks "Exhibit A" and "Exhibit C". While collaborating with Decon Records, Jay won two awards from MTV and signed a deal with Roc Nation.
The Alchemist’s Russian Roulette, Gangrene’s Vodka & Ayahuasca, and Roc Marciano’s Reloaded all made the HipHopDX 2012 records of the year awards list., and were favorably reviewed in Complex Magazine. XXL singled out Roc Marciano’s Decon Records release, Reloaded, as the “Best Slept-On Album” of that year. Early album releases saw Decon working alongside Project Blowed and Okayplayer. In 2011, Decon earned recognition from Billboard as one of the 50 Best Indie Labels in America.
- The Good Brothers - Project Blowed Presents: The Good Brothers
- Aceyalone - Moonlit Skies
- Aceyalone - Love & Hate
- Haiku D'Etat - Coup De Theatre
- Haiku D'Etat - Haiku D'Etat
- Various Artists - True Notes Vol. 1 REISSUE
- Aceyalone - All Balls Don't Bounce - Revisited
- Various Artists - 2K6: The Tracks
- Ellay Khule - Califormula
- Lyrics Born - Big Money Talk
- Afu-Ra - State Of The Arts
- Various Artists - Cali Comm 2004
- Various Artists - Project Blowed: 10th Anniversary
- Various Artists - Who The F*ck Is You
- Dan The Automator - 2K7 Instrumentals
- Dan The Automator - 2K7
- Aceyalone & Abstract Rude - Who Reframed The A-Team
- RJD2 - Magnificent City Instrumentals
- Aceyalone - Grand Imperial
- Aceyalone - Supahero
- Afu-Ra - God Of Rap
- Aceyalone - Magnificent City
- Aceyalone - Lightning Strikes
- Dilated Peoples - The Release Party
- Z-Trip - All Pro
- Evidence - Red Tape Instrumentals
- The Alchemist - Rapper's Best Friend
- Jurassic 5 - Jurassic 5 (Deluxe) REISSUE
- 88-Keys - The Death of Adam
- Various Artists - Fresh Rhymes & Videotape
- 88-Keys - Stay Up! (Viagra) ft. Kanye West (Single)
- Plantlife - Time Traveller
- Kenny Segal - Ken Can Cook
- Various Artists - Never Not Fresh
- Jay Electronica - Exhibit C
- Nneka - The Uncomfortable Truth
- Chali 2na - Fish Outta Water
- Jay Electronica - Exhibit A
- Aceyalone - Aceyalone and the Lonely Ones
- Evidence - The Layover
- Gangrene - Sawblade EP
- Lyrics Born - As U Were
- Gangrene - Gutter Water
- Freddie Gibbs - Str8 Killa EP
- Rakaa - Crown Of Thorns
- Chali 2na - Fish Market 2
- Aceyalone - Hip Hop And The World We Live In REISSUE
- Aceyalone - Accepted Eclectic REISSUE
- Nneka - Concrete Jungle
- Freestyle Fellowship - The Promise
- Blended Babies - Shooter McGavin
- Goapele - Break Of Dawn
- Goapele - Play (Single)
- Roc Marciano - Greneberg EP
- Roc Marciano - Greneberg EP Instrumentals
- Pusha T - Trouble On My Mind (Single)
- Ryan Leslie - Glory (Single)
- Classified - Handshakes and Middle Fingers
- Pusha T - My God (Single)
- Various Artists - Closed Sessions: ATX
- Nneka - Soul Is Heavy
- Various Artists - One Big Trip REISSUE
- Goapele - Break Of Dawn (Deluxe)
- Roc Marciano - Reloaded
- The Hood Internet - FEAT
- Ninjasonik - Red Cups (Single)
- Lyrics Born - As U Were (Remixes)
- The Alchemist - Russian Roulette
- The Alchemist - Flight Confirmation (Single)
- Gangrene - Odditorium
- Roc Marciano - Emeralds (Single)
- The Alchemist - Rapper's Best Friend 2
- Gangrene - Vodka & Ayahuasca
- Aaron Cohen- Potential Fans
- Frazer, Bryant (May 30, 2012). "Five Questions: Peter Bittenbender, Co-Founder and CEO, Decon". Studio Daily.
- Soleimanpour, Arthur (March 25, 2010). "Brands Who Became Agencies: Decon Creative Group". PSFK.
- "Del, Automator, Dilated Take 'Big Trip'". Billboard. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "2012 promaxbda design north america awards winners list" (PDF). PromaxBDA.
- Wolfe, Jennifer (March 20, 2012). "Misha Louy Partners with Decon as Executive Producer". AWN.
- "Decon Keeps Rolling with Sacha Jenkins". Newsle. May 2, 2012.
- Ugwu, Reggie (8/10/13). "Double Agents: Hybrid label/creative agencies thrive by mixing brands and bands better than the competition". Billboard. p. 7. Check date values in:
- "Billboard Pro's D.I.Y. 50 Indie Labels (Part II)". Billboard. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "BEST SOUNDTRACK: One Big Trip". High Times. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Aceyalone - Love & Hate". Splendid. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "The Roots Launch Okayplayer Records". Glide Magazine. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Label - Decon". Discogs. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "88-Keys - The Death of Adam". The Phoenix. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "The Death of Adam - 88-Keys". Allmusic. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- Reid, Shaheem. "Kanye West, 88-Keys Become Dirty Old Men For 'Stay Up (Viagra)' Video". MTV. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- Kujundzic, Petar. "HYPETRAK INSIGHTS with Peter Bittenbender, Co-founder of Decon Records". HYPETRAK. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Jay Electronica - Exhibit A". Discogs. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Jay Electronica - Exhibit C". Discogs. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "HYPETRAK INSIGHTS with Peter Bittenbender, Co-founder of Decon Records". HYPETRAK. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "HipHopDX's Top 25 Albums Of 2012". DX Staff. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "The 50 Best Albums of 2012 (So Far)". Complex Magazine. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "The 50 Best Albums of 2012 - Roc Marciano - Reloaded". Complex. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "First Annual XXL Awards Winners". XXL. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- Mitchell, Gail (January 22, 2004). "Roots Launch Okayplayer Records". Billboard.
- "Billboard Pro's D.I.Y. 50 Indie Labels (Part II)". Billboard. August 15, 2011.