||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2014)|
Dhananjoy Chatterjee (14 August 1965 – 14 August 2004) was born in Kuludihi, West Bengal, India and worked as a security guard. He was executed by hanging for the murder (following a rape) of 14-year-old Hetal Parekh at her apartment residence in Bhowanipur on 5 March 1990. His sentence was carried out at Alipore Central Jail on 14 August 2004.
Chatterjee, whose mercy plea was rejected on 4 August 2004, was kept at Alipore for nearly 14 years. The execution was scheduled on 25 June 2004 but it was stayed after his family petitioned the Supreme Court of India, and filed a mercy plea with the then President Late Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. The family refused to either attend the execution or claim his body; it was later cremated.
The date of Chatterjee's execution was fixed at a high-level meeting at the office of Jail Minister Biswanath Choudhury.
A book Hangwoman authored by KR Meera was inspired from Dhananjoy hanging.
- "How India hanged a poor watchman whose guilt was far from established".
- "Six convicts in death row in Bengal jails". The Times of India.
- "The Hindu : Front Page : Dhananjoy hanged". thehindu.com.
- "The last hanging took 14 years after rape and murder".
- "'I hanged my first victim when I was 16'". indianexpress.com.
- "The Telegraph - Calcutta : Metro". telegraphindia.com.
- "Book review: KR Meera borrows liberally from the mystique of the Dhananjoy hanging in Hangwoman".
- "Dhananjoy may once again appeal to SC" – article in Mid-day dated 4 August 2004
- "Dhananjoy to be hanged" – article in the Indian Express dated 5 August 2004 referring to his mercy petition being rejected by the President of India
- "Dhananjoy's parents plan last-ditch appeal" – article in sify.com dated 5 August 2004
- "Dhananjoy to be hanged on August 14" – article in sify.com dated 10 August 2004
- "Dhananjoy Chatterjee to be hanged on Aug 14" – article in indiainfo.com dated 10 August 2004
- "Rapist-murderer to be hanged in India" – MSNBC article dated 10 August 2004.
- "Dhananjoy Chatterjee to be hanged on Saturday" – article in the Deccan Herald on 11 August 2004
- "On death row Chatterjee gets a reprieve" – article in HTTabloid.com dated 11 August 2004
- "Dhananjoy Chatterjee cremated" – article in Indian Express dated 14 August 2004
- "Dhananjoy Chatterjee hanged in Kolkata jail" – article in indolink.com dated 14 August 2004