Dhu al-Qa'dah, Dhu'l-Qadah, Thu-l-Qicda, or Dhu al-Qi'dah (Arabic: ذو القعدة, also transliterated Ḏū l-Qaʿdah, IPA: [ðʊlˈqɑʕda]) is the eleventh month in the Islamic calendar. It is one of the four sacred months in Islam during which warfare is prohibited, hence the name ‘Master of Truce’.
The most correct and most traditionally widespread transliteration of the month according to the 13th century Syrian Jurist, Al-Nawawi is Dhu'l Qa'dah. Al-Nawawi also mentions that a smaller group of linguists allow the transliteration Dhu'l Qi'dah however. In modern times, it is most commonly referred to as Dhu'l Qi'dah although this is neither linguistically nor historically the strongest position.
The Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, and months begin when the first crescent of a new moon is sighted. Since the Islamic lunar calendar year is 11 to 12 days shorter than the solar year, Dhu al-Qa'dah migrates throughout the seasons. For example, some estimated start and end dates for Dhu al-Qa'dah are as follows:
- 1426 AH – First day: December 2, 2005; last day: December 31, 2005
- 1427 AH – First day: November 22, 2006; last day: December 21, 2006
- 1428 AH – First day: November 11, 2007; last day: December 10, 2007
- 1429 AH – First day: October 31, 2008; last day: November 29, 2008
- 1436 AH - First Day: August 16, 2015; last day: September 15, 2015
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)|
- 5 AH, the Muslims took part in the Battle of the Trench
- 6 AH, Truce of Hudaubiyah
- 6 AH, 'Bay'at-e-Rizwaan' (The oath of allegiance named Rizwaan)
- 7 AH, The first pilgrimage - the return to Makkah for the performance of Umrah by Muhammad and his Companions
- 01 Dhu al-Qa'dah, Birth anniversary of Bibi Masooma-e-Qom – the sister of Imam Ali Riza, the 8th Shiite Holy Imam.
- 01 Dhu al-Qa'dah, Peace treaty of al-Hudaibiya between Muslims and Mushrikeen
- 08 Dhu al-Qa'dah, Hajj was made incumbent upon Muslims in 8 A.H.
- 11 Dhu al-Qa'dah, Birth anniversary of Imam Ali Riza – the 8th Holy Imam.
- 23 Dhu al-Qa'dah, Martyrdom of Imam Ali Riza (as per one tradition)
- 29 Dhu al-Qa'dah, Martyrdom of Imam Mohammad Taqi al-Jawwad – the 9th Holy Imam
- Islamic-Western Calendar Converter (Based on the Arithmetical or Tabular Calendar)
- Islamic Calendar / Hijri Calendar for Makkah
- [Sharh Sahih Muslim, Kitab al Qisama wal Muharibeen wal Qisas wal Diyyaat, باب تغليظ تحريم الدماء والأعراض والأموال]