Downingtown Area School District
|Downingtown Area School District|
|540 Trestle Place, Downingtown, PA 19335
|Students and staff|
|Colors||Blue and gold|
The Downingtown Area School District is a school district based in Downingtown, in Chester County, Pennsylvania, in the United States. The district operates ten Elementary Schools, three Middle Schools and three High Schools. As of 2013, the district educates approximately 12,000 students, making it the largest school district in Chester County.
Effective July 1, 2017, Dr. Emilie Lonardi will take over as superintendent of the Downingtown Area School District, succeeding Dr. Lawrence Mussoline. Dr. Lawrence Mussoline announced his retirement during Summer 2016, allowing the Chester County Intermediate Unit to execute a 9-month, nationwide search for Downingtown's next superintendent. The Downingtown Area School District school board announced at a meeting on April 10, 2017, that Dr. Emilie Lonardi, superintendent of West York Area School District would become superintendent on July 1, 2017.
- 1 Geography
- 2 Events of significance
- 3 Schools within the Downingtown Area School District
- 4 Famous graduates
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The district, located in central Chester County serves all of the following municipalities:
- Downingtown Borough
- East Brandywine Twp.
- East Caln Twp.
- Upper Uwchlan Twp.
- Uwchlan Twp.
- Wallace Twp.
- West Bradford Twp.
- West Pikeland Twp.
Events of significance
|This section does not cite any sources. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Newsweek Top High Schools in the US
Newsweek has named both DHS East and DHS West as two of the top high schools in America.
Philadelphia Magazine Top High Schools Pennsylvania
DHS East and DHS West have been named two of the top high schools in Pennsylvania.
Best SAT Scores in Pennsylvania
DHS East and DHS West students’ SAT scores place them in the top tier of the 619 high schools in Pennsylvania. DHS East ranks 26th (up one ranking from last year) and DHS West now ranks 33rd (up 23 places from 2011). Both high schools placed 4th and 5th among Chester County schools – coming behind 3rd place Unionville, 4th ranked Tredyffrin-Easttown and 8th ranked Great Valley.
International Baccalaureate World School
The International Baccalaureate Organization has named the Downingtown STEM Academy an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School. The STEM Academy is the first IB World School in Chester County and will be the first high school in the nation to offer an IB program with STEM pathways.
The district released a statement saying that if the new Pennsylvania school budget is approved, then the district will lose $3,728,942 from state funding. The statement also discusses the $4,600,000 deficit already in place.
Schools within the Downingtown Area School District
- Beaver Creek Elementary - Downingtown
- Bradford Heights Elementary School - West Bradford Twp.
- Brandywine Wallace Elementary School - East Brandywine Twp.
- East Ward Elementary School - Downingtown
- Lionville Elementary School - Uwchlan Twp.
- Pickering Valley Elementary School - Upper Uwchlan Twp.
- Shamona Creek Elementary School - Uwchlan Twp.
- Springton Manor Elementary School - Wallace Twp.
- Uwchlan Hills Elementary School - Uwchlan Twp.
- West Bradford Elementary School - West Bradford Twp.
- Downingtown Middle School - Downingtown
- Lionville Middle School - Uwchlan Twp.
- Sixth Grade Center - Uwchlan Twp.
- Downingtown High School - Downingtown High School is split into two campuses: Downingtown East (Uwchlan Twp.) and Downingtown West (Downingtown). While still legally considered to be one school, East and West are generally regarded as being separate entities.
- Downingtown STEM Academy (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) - A magnet high school opened Fall 2011.
- Downingtown Cyber Academy - A new online educational school for high school students, opening in August 2011.
- Dave Days, musician from YouTube
- Sara Shepard, author of Pretty Little Liars
- Pat Devlin, NFL Quarterback
- "DASD Board selects new superintendent".
- Newsweek, Newsweek. "America's Top Schools 2014". Newsweek. Newsweek. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Haas, Timothy. "The Top 100 Philadelphia-Area Public Schools 2012". PhillyMag. PhillyMag. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Downingtown Area School District Official Website
- Downingtown STEM Academy
- Downingtown High School West
- Downingtown High School East
- Lionville Middle School
- Downingtown Middle School
- Sixth Grade Center
- West Bradford Elementary School
- Uwchlan Hills Elementary School
- Springton Manor Elementary School
- Shamona Creek Elementary School
- Pickering Valley Elementary School
- Lionville Elementary School
- East Ward Elementary School
- Brandywine Wallace Elementary School
- Bradford Heights Elementary School
- Beaver Creek Elementary School
- Downingtown Area School District - PA Dept of Education profile
- Downingtown Area School District - Great Schools profile