|Role||Covert operations, counter-terrorism, urban warfare|
|Part of||89th "Oz" Brigade|
|Motto(s)||כִּ֣י בְ֖תַחְבֻּלוֹת תַּעֲשֶׂה־לְּךָ֣ מִלְחָמָ֑ה|
"For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war" (Proverbs 24:6)
It is notable for its undercover operations in urban areas, during which its operators often wear civilian clothing to disguise themselves among the local Arab populace. The unit is also known to have highly trained members in both human and mechanical counter-surveillance. Unlike other special forces, they can operate independently in more than one place at a time. Unit 217 performs many high-risk and complicated operations, including targeted killings of terrorists and a range of other undercover operations in Arab regions, many of which are classified.
According to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), Unit 217 was established in June 1986 to deal with "security events" in the West Bank, especially in its densely populated civilian areas. During the 2015–2016 violence wave, the unit was involved in the arrests of the killers of Eitam and Naʽama Henkin, Hafna Meir, and rabbi Yaʽakov Littman (sometimes spelled Litman) and his son. For its work during this period, Unit 217 received the Israeli Chief of Staff citation.
Upon joining the Commando Brigade, Unit 217 expanded its operational activities.
Organization and mission
The unit is part of the "Oz" 89th Commando Brigade (a brigade dedicated solely to special operations), but Duvdevan operators undergo basic training in the Paratroopers Brigade. Unit 217 is most similar to the Yamas unit of the Israel Border Police.
- Jericho 941 semi-automatic pistol 
- M89SR sniper rifle
- M24 Sniper Weapon System – sniper system
- M4 carbine with 10" barrel
- Remington 870 combat shotgun
- Para Micro-Uzi submachine gun 
- IMI Negev machine gun
- Shipon multi-purpose rocket-launcher
- Mk 47 Striker automatic grenade launcher
- Glock 17/19C
- combat knife
- Steve Macko, The IDF Duvedevan Unit Archived 2007-11-25 at the Wayback Machine, Emergency Response & Research Institute (August 11, 1997)
- "יחידת דובדבן: כך מתקבלים ליחידת המסתערבים - חטיבת הקומנדו". אדרנלין כושר קרבי (in Hebrew). 12 May 2021. Retrieved 21 April 2022.
- "Duvdevan Unit". idf.il. Israel Defense Forces. Retrieved 25 July 2021.
- Lewis, Jack (28 February 2011). "Israel's Guns Against Terrorism". Assault Weapons. Iola, Wisconsin: Gun Digest Books. p. 21. ISBN 1-4402-2629-6.
- Cohen, Aaron; Century, Douglas (2008). Brotherhood of Warriors: Behind Enemy Lines with a Commando in One of the World's Most Elite Counterterrorism Units. New York: Ecco, Harper Collins. ISBN 978-0-06-123615-0.