|Egon Sharpe Pearson|
|Born||11 August 1895
|Died||12 June 1980 (aged 84)
|Institutions||University College London|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Doctoral students||George E. P. Box
Bhaskar Kumar Ghosh
Norman Lloyd Johnson
|Known for||Neyman–Pearson lemma|
|Notable awards||Guy Medal (Gold, 1955)|
He went to Winchester School and Trinity College, Cambridge, and succeeded his father as professor of statistics at University College London and as editor of the journal Biometrika. Pearson is best known for development of the Neyman–Pearson lemma of statistical hypothesis testing.
He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in March 1966. His candidacy citation read: "Known throughout the world as co-author of the Neyman-Pearson theory of testing statistical hypotheses, and responsible for many important contributions to problems of statistical inference and methodology, especially in the development and use of the likelihood ratio criterion. Has played a leading role in furthering the applications of statistical methods — for example, in industry, and also during and since the war, in the assessment and testing of weapons."
- On the Use and Interpretation of certain Test Criteria for the Purposes of Statistical Inference (coauthor Jerzy Neyman in Biometrika, 1928)
- The History of statistics in the XVIIth and XVIIIth centuries (1929). Commented version of a series of conference by his father.
- On the Problem of the Most Efficient Tests of Statistical Hypotheses (coauthor Jerzy Neyman, 1933)
- The Application of Statistical Methods to Industrial Standardisation and Quality Control. London: British Standards Institution, Publication Department. 1935.
- Karl Pearson : an appreciation of some aspects of his life and work (1938)
- The Selected Papers of E. S. Pearson. Cambridge University Press. 1966.
- Studies in the history of statistics and probability (1969, coauthor Maurice George Kendall)
- Bartlett, M. S. (1981). "Egon Sharpe Pearson. 11 August 1895-12 June 1980". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 27: 425–426. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1981.0017. JSTOR 769879.
- Egon Pearson at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Egon Pearson", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- "Royal Statistical Society Presidents". Royal Statistical Society. Archived from the original on 17 March 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2010.
- "Lists of Royal Society Fellows 1660-2007" (PDF). London: The Royal Society. Retrieved 1 May 2011.
- Rietz, H. L. (1936). "Review: The Application of Statistical Methods to Industrial Standardisation and Quality Control by E. S. Pearson" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 42 (9): 617–618. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1936-06365-2.